Chapter 15: The Ritual

... what? what's going on?

What is this... this weird feeling? This weird warmth that surrounds me? And why does it feel so familiar? I feel... weightless? Is this... Yes. This must be a dream! After all, the last thing that I remember was falling asleep in that bed with Sayu clinging to my back to stay warm. That means that this just being an oddly familiar dream has to be the explanation here and—

??? #1: "Hmm... It seems that it worked after all."

??? #2: "It worked?! So that means that—"

??? #1: "Yes. Look, there they are."

??? #2: "OH! Y/N!!"

Those voices... they're very familiar, so very familiar... So familiar that I knew exactly who they belonged to before I had even realised that my vision was black. How cruel is it that I might dream up my past friends, but I cannot even see their faces? Too cruel.

Y/N: "It's so good to hear your voices again... Yanfei, Xiao. It feels like it's been far too long, even if this is just a dre—"

* P O M F *

My words were interrupted by what felt like a body coming into contact with me, of two arms wrapping tightly around me. I felt what was most likely a hat smack up against my chin before it then dropped and fell to the ground... or at least that's what the thud afterwards led me to believe. After that though, all I could hear was the sound of crying, of Yanfei crying...

Yanfei: "w–we all thought... *sniffle* we all thought that you were—" *sobbing*

Xiao: "Where are you? You never returned to the shore after your assault on Osial."

Y/N: "What happened to me... I... What does that matter really? This is just a dream, isn't it? No matter how many times I tell you, you won't remember it the next time I envision you..."

Yanfei: "th–this isn't a dream!! *sniffle* Xiao did a ritual! This is really us! Y/N! *sniffle* Please... won't you open your eyes?"

Heeding the pleading request of your old friend, I opened my eyes that I did not even realise were closed. And when I did... that's when I realised that I was not only surrounded by familiar faces, but also in a very familiar place...

 that's when I realised that I was not only surrounded by familiar faces, but also in a very familiar place

This place... it was that spot just outside of Liyue Harbour, just beyond that bridge beside the rarely used Alchemical Bench, the spot with those two tall stone Yaksha statues that stand up tall and mighty... just shy of that renovated shrine that honours the long-deceased Yaksha, Pervases.