Chapter 7: Prophesised Demise

. . . what?

I had just stirred from my slumber and opened my eyes, and when I did I saw this most strange and unexpected sight

I had just stirred from my slumber and opened my eyes, and when I did I saw this most strange and unexpected sight... of Ayaka, a high-ranking member of her clan, sleeping soundly but a couple feet away from me... but why is she here? Wait. This isn't my room back at Naganohara's...

o–OH! I completely forgot! Ayaka had persuaded me to stay the night for a sleepover, that's right!

FLASHBACK: "Oh, this is actually quite exciting, isn't it! But what to talk about until we fall asleep, I wonder? Oh, aren't we supposed to have cups of hot cocoa too? And pillow forts, how do we make a fort with only two pillows?! Oh! How about a pillow fight! That sounds like fun! Hehe!"

We ended up staying up for quite a while after that, she had sourced a couple cups of hot cocoa, and we just sort of chatted for a while. Fortunately she didn't seem to push too hard for messing around with the pillows in any way. I can't imagine it ending too well for me to interact with such an important member of a head clan of this nation in such a way...

But now what do I do? Do I just... wait? Wait for her to wake up? Or should I grab my things and make my way back? It looks like it's still really early in the morning, judging from the lack of any sunlight in the room despite the windows lacking any curtains. I suppose I'll probably just grab myself a couple hours napping back at Yoimiya's, to make sure I'm keeping up a healthy amount of time rested.

But wouldn't it be just as rude of me to just up and leave without saying anything? Maybe I should leave a note or something like th—

Ayaka: "...mmmmm..."

It seems that she was beginning to stir, was that me? I didn't think I'd done anything too noisy yet though... had I? All I'd done is twist around a little in my tatami bed, to get a better recollection of my surroundings and my situation.

Ayaka: "hmmm... yet another day... *yawn* ...and it seems quite early too, I suppose I could— Oh! Y/N! I'm sorry, I completely forgot that— I did not wake you just now, did I?"

Y/N: "Oh no, don't worry about that. In fact, I was worried that maybe I might be the one who woke you up. I woke up just a short moment ago myself."

Ayaka: "i–I see... I hope you slept quite well?"

Y/N: "I did, thank you. Your accommodations and hospitality have been really quite pleasant!"

Ayaka: "Oh? Well, I am glad to hear such praise. But... uhmm... Well, you may use the room over there to uh, freshen up, if you'd like? I will... I will wait until you have vacated the room before I do the same, if that's okay with you?"