Chapter 16: Captainship

Gorou: "Jaren, Hayate, Yukina. Might I now formally introduce you to your new Captain of the team, of who you should already be acquainted with already from the events that transpired yesterday I would hope!"

Hayate: "Wait? Captain?! But I thought that I was captain!! This random person hasn't even been here for a day yet! Shouldn't I have superiority here?!"

Gorou: "Come now, we're all soldiers fighting for the same cause here. Unfortunately this team has not quite had the success that we would have hoped, so I have elected to put our new recruit up to the role, to see if perhaps Y/N here might be able to spur some progress."

Hayate: "The only reason this team's been failing is because you teamed me up with these two useless kids to babysit! Seriously! I should be at the front lines, backed with actually useful soldiers! Not these dregs at the bottom of the barrel!"

Yukina: ". . ."

Jaren: "We're trying our best you know..."

Hayate: "Well your best isn't good enough! You shouldn't even be trying to be soldiers! Why don't you just run along back to your mommies and get a nice big bowl of supper, hm!"

Gorou: "That is incredibly disrespectful of your fellow soldiers! I demand that you—"

Y/N: "Fight me."

Hayate: "Huh? What'd you just say to me?"

Y/N: "You heard me. Fight me. Prove that you deserve to be the captain. Or are you nothing but your words?"

Hayate: "Oh yeah? You're only so confident in yourself because you've got a Vision. Lose the Vision and what are you?"

Y/N: "You don't want to find out the answer to that. Trust me."

Hayate: "Actually, I think I do. Take your Vision off and let's square up! Winner takes the role of captain of this lame-ass team!"

Gorou: "Hayate... *sigh* As General, it's ultimately my decision with what happens here. But if you're willing Y/N, I must say I am quite interested in seeing your skills first-hand without the threat of an enemy force present."

Y/N: "It's fine with me. I could do with knowing the skill level of the people I'm going to be in a team with anyways. Is there somewhere nearby that might be suitable for this bout?"

Gorou: "Yes, right this way. We'll use the training grounds for this. Come, this way."

The young General then led the four of us down the hill towards this supposed training grounds... well, I suppose he's mostly just leading me. Everyone else here probably knows exactly where it is. And to be honest, it wouldn't have been all that difficult for me to find, as it was only a minute of walking downhill from where we were until we found ourselves in what I assumed to be the training ground— with an array of red and blue scarecrows that seemed to be being used for archery practice, judging from the many arrows lodged in them all.

Gorou: "Here we are! Now then, will you be using wooden training weapons or your normal equipment."

Y/N: "I'm fine with using wooden weapons for thi—"

Hayate: "We'll use our own weapons. Nothing teaches a lesson better than a scar or two after all."

Y/N: "Well, if he's fine with it I suppose..."

This guy really is confident in himself, isn't he! Does he not remember how easily I dealt with that hulking giant of a Samurai soldier who is practically twice his size yesterday? Or does he just think that he's that much better than me, and he only needed my help because he just got caught flatfooted yesterday? I suppose what I've heard of him so far would lead me to believe he's at least a competent fighter, so I shouldn't be too lax but... even still... this weapon of mine will make this too easy I feel.