Chapter 20: Watatsumi Priestess

Ayaka: "...That's another win for you. That would make it, hmm... four to two in your favour now, I believe? And I suppose now there is little chance of my making a comeback, so I will concede overall defeat. You truly are skilled at board games. You had only just today learnt the rules of Shogi, and yet you managed to best me more than I could you? Truly quite impressive!"

Y/N: "Thank you. It is... rather fortunate that Shogi and Chess are actually quite similar, enough so at least that I could utilise past skills somewhat. I used to play quite a lot of Chess and Liyue Millennial back in the day after all..."

Ayaka: "You seem to be giving yourself little credit for your accomplishments. You should take pride in all that you do, no matter how small. I am certain that those that serve beside you in the Watatsumi Resistance will be most welcome to witness your victories— even if you have grown dull of them."

Y/N: "... I suppose you've a point there..."

Ayaka: "Hmm... Sayu should be arriving soon with your forgotten equipment... So, I suppose I should escort you to the front gate so as to receive it all. Please, do not worry about clearing up. I can clean up the remnants of our activities later, once you have departed. Please, if you would follow me?"

Even if I had wanted to object to my just leaving the mess of our board game left atop the table that we had been sitting at, I was not given the chance before Ayaka had stood herself up and walked on over to the door that led out of the private room that we had been residing inside. And she stood there at the door, expectantly, clearly waiting for me to follow her...

Deciding not to make a mountain out of a molehill, I chose to accept her charity and left the Shogi board and pieces alone on the table where we had abandoned it. After which I also stood myself back up and walked on over towards the young lady awaiting me. Of which, after seeing my complying, Ayaka had begun to lead the way towards the exit of the estate. And, whilst we made our way out, Ayaka had brought up a dialogue I had expected her to bring up far earlier than this...

Ayaka: *sigh* "It's a shame that after today there will be quite some distance between us, what with you not remaining on Narukami Island so as to aid the Watatsumi Resistance forces... Would it be too much to ask that, should you have the opportunity, that you might pay us—... pay me a visit?"

Y/N: "I suppose we'll have to see. I am technically a criminal here after all, for the time being I'd hope..."

Ayaka: "And myself also, that you will find that freedom soon is a hope I hold dear. But, for the meantime, I pray that you stay strong until we reach the change that we are all fighting for. Oh. And of course, should you ever manage to find the time to visit, if you are able to inform me of your visit before your arrival then I can have somebody fetch miss Naganohara to meet you here also— away from the prying eyes of the Shogunate."

Y/N: "... would you? That would be much appreciated, Ayaka, thank you."

Ayaka: "...! th–think nothing of it, please! It would be my pleasure to facilitate that for you, after all."

We had now found ourselves back outside the main building we were in, and we were now walking along the wooden decking of the garden area that led towards the exiting gate. A trip that would normally take no more than twenty seconds or so. But, evidently, Ayaka was not so keen for our time to end so soon, and she was walking rather slow, with me having to slow down considerably also so as to match her speed...

Ayaka: "Whilst I have you here still, might I ask you a question? Regarding the world outside of Inazuma, that is... or, more specifically, a pair of travellers that are quite well known throughout the rest of Teyvat?"