{ 2 }

"you're home early," george judged when he saw his parents in the kitchen. his parents were usually gone by the time that he woke up, and wouldn't get back for a few hours after that. since it was summer, george's sleeping schedule was completely wrecked and he had been waking up way later than usual.

"did you just wake up?" his mom questioned, seeing george's messy hair and puffy eyes.

"maybe..." george answered, not wanting to admit that he had just woken up and it was almost two in the afternoon.

a long sigh came from his mom while a light giggle was heard from his dad. "soon enough you're gonna be nocturnal," his dad joked. it was definitely a dad joke, but george still found it funny. his dad didn't joke around a lot, so it always took george by surprise when he did.

george defended himself even though he didn't feel like he had to, "it's not like i have anything to do- it's summer."

"you have friends," his mom reminded him. "are they sleeping in until this hour too?"

"most of the time," george explained, "clay is basically on the same schedule as me, sapnap sleeps all day, alex just naps when he feels like it, and karl probably doesn't sleep."

"karl doesn't?" his mom tilted her head. "that's surprising, he's always energetic."

george shrugged, not having an explanation for karl's behavior. "clay might come over later," he revealed. he had everyone over at his pool a few days ago, but he hadn't seen anyone since then.

"can i hang out with him too, or are you gonna hide him from me?" his dad asked. george liked how much his dad adored clay- he was probably the reason why his mom finally decided to stop being such a bitch about george having him over.

"if you promise to not talk about sports, then maybe," george decided. he knew him and clay would probably just stay in his bedroom the whole time that he was here, but he was sure that clay would at least say hello to his parents.

"i don't think that's going to happen, george," his mom cracked a smile as she spoke, which was something that she didn't do often.

george rolled his eyes, knowing it was inevitable that his dad would steal clay for a while. he remembered a conversation from the pool; the beach house. george was almost certain that his parents wouldn't let him have the place to himself, but it was worth a shot. "i have a question," he spoke up.

"what is it?" his mom wondered.

"i know you're probably going to say no, but..." he trailed off, continuing once he built up the courage, "is there any way that me and my friends could stay at the beach house for a few days? like- just us?"

his mom's eyes widened, "all five of you? alone?"

"yeah," george confirmed.

his parents both looked at each other as if they were communicating with their eyes. his mom spoke again, "i don't know about that."

"we're not gonna do anything stupid," george claimed, but he couldn't promise that.

"i trust you, but i don't know if it's a good idea to have five teenage boys alone in an oceanfront mansion," she discussed, waiting for george's dad's opinion.

"i think it would be fine," his dad decided. "george has been alone in this house for days at a time- what difference does it make if he's on the beach with his friends?"

george knew that his dad would agree, but his mom was the obstacle. she had definitely lightened up over the past few months, but that didn't mean that she would agree with everything that george said. she stayed quiet for a few minutes before slightly changing her mind, "i'll think about it."