{ 6 }

george ended up stealing a towel from alex's house to avoid clay getting water all over his car's leather seats. it worked pretty well, but it wasn't helping clay's discomfort. he regretted jumping in the lake, but he only started complaining once he was away from sapnap. sapnap was arguably the biggest complainer of the group, with george and alex competing for second place, but clay didn't want to out-complain sapnap- that would be humiliating.

it was pitch black outside, and clay knew that his mom was waiting for him to come home. she wasn't mad about him being out late, but she never went to sleep until clay was home. the porch light was on when george pulled into the driveway, confirming that clay's mom was waiting. he parked his car and reached for his door handle.

"where are you going?" clay asked as he opened the passenger door.

"i'm walking you to the door," george explained as if it was obvious.

clay was only slightly surprised, and he would've thought it was sweet if he hadn't been forced to sit on a literal bath towel because he couldn't get george's precious car seats wet. "oh," clay reacted. a smile formed on his face, but george didn't see it until he came around to the other side of the car.

"why do you seem so happy?" george questioned.

a shrug was clay's answer. even if him and george had been together for over seven months, he still got rosy-cheeked from the sweet things that george did; even if it was just walking him to the door. clay was definitely more affectionate, so he always overreacted when george would do something nice.

clay didn't have his house key, but he knew his mom was still awake, so he just rang the doorbell and waited. it was in that moment that george realized he would probably have to interact with clay's mom. she was one of the most kindhearted people that george had ever met, but it was still nerve wracking to see her since he was dating her son. clay was also soaked and had only his underwear on his bottom half, but luckily his t-shirt was pretty long.

after a few moments, the door swung open to reveal clay's mom. she was clearly confused by the state of her son, but she was excited when she saw george. she immediately greeted him and pulled him in for a hug, "george! it's nice to see you."

as much as george hated hugs from most people, the hugs he received from clay's mom were as comforting as they could possibly be. "hi ms. green," george spoke as he lightly returned the hug. clay and his family had changed their last names to his mom's maiden name after the divorce, and george was still getting used to it.

"you know you can call me corrine, honey," she pulled away and assured him. she then returned her gaze to clay, "should i ask why you're soaked and pantless?"

"i jumped into a lake," clay admitted. he rushed to explain himself, "i only did it because sapnap wanted someone to do it with him and he wouldn't shut up."

"just make sure you take a shower," his mom advised, opening the door further. "are you staying over, george?" she asked.

"not tonight," george revealed with an exaggerated frown.

clay's mom seemed just as disappointed, "well i'm sure you'll be back over soon. you're probably going to have to help clay pack for that vacation that you guys have been planning."

"probably," clay agreed, "i always wait until the last minute to pack and then i forget a ton of stuff."

"i'll definitely help," george offered. he dismissed himself, "i have to go though, i have to talk to my parents about vacation plans."

"alright, thanks for taking him home," clay's mom thanked george.

"it was no problem," george responded.