{ 9 }

"george," clay whispered, poking george's shoulder. he echoed himself, "george."

the brunet's eyes fluttered open, and it took him a few minutes to realize where he was. once he gained consciousness, he was pissed that he had been woken up, "what?" he groaned.

"we got munchkins," clay announced, pointing to the box placed on the center console. karl had already eaten a few, but not many since he had to drive.

george's eyebrows furrowed; his eyes were slightly puffy since he had just woken up. "you got what?" he questioned with tiredness laced into his tone.

"munchkins," clay repeated, further explaining, "y'know- donut-holes. the ones from dunkin' donuts."

"oh, donut-holes," george realized. he rubbed his eyes and then grabbed one from the box. it was coated in cinnamon, and george observed it for a few seconds before looking back at clay, "why didn't you just say that? what the hell is a 'munchkin?"

alex spoke up from the very back of the car, "oh my god. this bitch has never had a munchkin." he started to laugh, distracting him from the fact that him and sapnap were fighting over the second box of munchkins.

"i've had a donut-hole before," george clarified. he took a bite of the munchkin, leaving half of it still between his fingers and the other half in his mouth. some cinnamon fell onto the palm of his hand. "i've just never had the ones from dunkin' donuts."

"dunkin' has the best donut-holes," karl claimed, snagging a blueberry one from the box.

"i doubt that," george argued. he popped the other half of the donut-hole into his mouth. he chewed and swallowed before adding, "they're pretty good though."

"they're the best when you aren't super rich and haven't had a donut that's probably infused with gold and the tears of mona lisa," sapnap explained.

"don't bring mona lisa into this," alex shook his head in disapproval as he spoke, shoving a chocolate glazed donut-hole into his mouth very slowly.

clay's head turned to the backseat, "why?" he asked.

"i don't want to talk about it," alex decided, talking with his mouth full.

"remember in seventh grade when we went on that field trip to an art museum?" karl brought up, planning to tell the story to clay who had seemed to forget about it- and george was also clueless.

alex's words came immediately, "i said i didn't want to talk about it."

"i want to," karl sassed. he carried on, "alex got ice cream and he was walking in front of a statue version of the mona lisa," karl told, "and then he tripped and his ice cream hit the statue right in the eye."

"he's lying," alex pleaded. "that never happened."

"i believe karl," george decided. he was on his third munchkin, and it was safe to say that he judged them too soon.

------

after a few more agonizing hours, the group arrived at george's beach house. clay ended up taking over karl's job of driving because karl was practically falling asleep at the wheel, and karl ended up sleeping for the rest of the drive.

"holy balls bro," sapnap expressed at the sight of the house.

george unlocked the front door, acting humble, "it's not nearly as big as my actual house, but it's pretty nice."

"pretty nice?" alex questioned.

"what?" george turned his head over his shoulder, slightly struggling with the key. "is it not nice?"