{ 50 }

with football tryouts out of the way, clay and george were ready for their weekend getaway. tryouts were actually more stressful for clay than he thought they would be; he assumed that punz would make most of the decisions, but punz gave clay a lot more control than he expected. either way, he was satisfied with the team and hopeful that sapnap would be able to be apart of it when he came back.

they took george's car, of course, but clay insisted on driving. it was a three hour drive, and clay assured george that he could handle the whole thing. george just slept in the passenger's seat, occasionally waking up to skip the song playing from the speakers or ask clay what time it was. they stopped for energy drinks at one point, but george fell right back asleep after chugging the whole thing.

eventually they were in the driveway of the beach house and clay was waking george up. they started the drive in the afternoon, so the sun was setting now. george dragged himself out of the car, but only because clay told him to figure out what to order for dinner. george was absolutely starving and just hearing the word food gave him the motivation to get himself up.

it was a friday night, and their plan was to stay saturday and sunday and then leave monday. it wasn't a long vacation by any means, but they were still excited for it. sometimes a weekend away could feel like a whole month away.

once the car was unpacked and food was ordered, clay and george actually acknowledged the fact that they were completely alone in a huge house. for now they were just happy because they wouldn't have to worry about anyone else and could just enjoy time with each other, but having the house to themselves would definitely be nice for... other things.

that night was spent eating food, watching movies in the living room, taking showers, and then falling right asleep. this was so different from the trip with their friends; it was relaxing, nothing was rushed, and they really just did whatever they wanted. they loved their friends, but they loved each other in a way that their friends didn't understand yet.

the next day, they woke up early enough to watch the sun rise. they fell asleep pretty early since they were tired from the drive- even though george slept the whole time.

"aren't you glad i woke you up?" george asked. him and clay were sitting in the warm sand in the same clothes they slept in; george in a t-shirt and sweatpants, and clay in shorts with a hoodie he threw on before he left. their fingers were intertwined, george's head was on clay's shoulder, and everything was perfect.

"mhm," clay mumbled, resting his head on top of george's. he ran his fingers over george's knuckles, feeling the ring he got him back in its rightful place after sitting in george's suitcase for a few weeks.

once the sunrise was over, they went back to the house and got ready for the day. clay took a quick nap while george was in the shower. george took way longer to get ready than clay did anyways, so his nap didn't waste any of their precious time.

eventually, they were both fully awake and heading back to the beach. this time they had chairs, a cooler, and a backpack of random beach necessities. george packed that bag full with towels, expensive sunscreen, backup sunglasses, snacks, and bandaids. the bandaids were a last minute 'what if we step on sharp shells' decision, but you can never go wrong with having some bandaids on you.

the weather was perfect; it was hot, but not so hot that you had to go in the water to cool off. the sun was still beaming, though, so george made sunscreen a priority. george swore clay had never put on sunscreen in his life before he met him.

"clay- please, at least your face," george begged as clay pushed the bottle away.

"george, i'm fine. i've gone through worse than a sunburn," clay insisted. he really just hated the way sunscreen felt. it was greasy and sticky, and that combined with the sand was just a sensory nightmare.