{ 31 }

after a late night the three slept in, but wasted no time getting ready for a long day of shopping. stas and george were way more excited than sage was, but they were sure he would enjoy himself. who doesn't love spending money?

the morning was filled with three showers running at once, stas's hairdryer being obnoxiously loud, music blasting in george's bathroom, and even stas trying to put makeup on george. he declined for the time being, but he knew she would probably convince him in the middle of the night when neither of them could sleep and they were bored out of their minds.

eventually they were ready and piled into george's car. stas got the passenger seat and sage got the back to himself, leaning over the middle console most of the time. they argued for a bit over where to stop for breakfast, but with anastasia in the car there was no way that it wouldn't be starbucks.

the drive went by pretty quick thanks to their endless conversations. george felt closer with both of them that he ever had.

maybe long breaks really were a good thing.

he wondered how clay was doing; was football going well? has he gotten hurt? is he feeling better? does he know when sapnap is coming back? has he been hanging out with any of his friends? george wished he could just show up at his house like he always used to do and talk to him for hours.

words couldn't describe how much george wanted to introduce stas and clay to each other. stas understood why they couldn't meet yet, but stas and clay were both so important to george. before george found clay and the rest of his friend group, stas was really the only person he could trust. when his parents were stressed about their jobs and weren't getting along, he could go to stas's house. when he had secrets, stas knew them all. when he was finding himself, stas was by his side the entire time.

without her, george probably wouldn't have ever been with clay. it was weird to think about.

before george's mind could wander too far, he was driving through the parking lot trying to find a spot that wasn't disgustingly far from the entrance. it was hot and none of them wanted to start their day off by sweating.

stas used the rear-view mirror to reapply her lip gloss before they got out of the car. george admired stas- he always had. it took him a while to figure out why; it was because she was always just so comfortable with herself, and george really struggled with that.

when george said this mall had everything, he meant everything. everything from louis vuitton to hollister to an exotic reptile store. it wasn't even worth looking at a map, you kind of just had to wander around, get lost for hours, and completely empty your wallet. every time george went there he found a new store that he had never noticed before.

george and stas ended up a few steps ahead of sage, who speed-walked to catch back up with them. "i need to put you two on leashes," he threatened.

"kinky," george commented jokingly.

"he's my brother..." stas reminded with a disgusted look on her face.

"i didn't mean it like that," sage disclosed. "i meant like those backpacks that toddlers wear that have a leash attached for their parents to hold. i don't know what kind of shit you and your boyfriend do george, but that is not what i meant," he defended very sternly. stas still looked like she wanted to die.

"i was kidding," george assured. he explained himself, "being around people who's only humor is sex jokes has changed me." the comment was meant to be lighthearted, but it made george realize how much he really missed his whole friend group being together. yes, they annoyed the hell out of him with their immaturity, but he loved them. right now george had anastasia and sage, but when they left, he didn't know what he would do with himself.