{ 34 }

( cw // mentions of drinking and sa )

"i don't want you to leave."

stas took a few moments to respond; she was focusing on perfectly contouring george's face. she had asked to do his makeup on one of the first days of her visit, and she finally convinced george the night before she had to leave. "i don't want to either," she agreed.

george was as expressive as he could be; he couldn't move too much or else stas would yell at him. "like- i literally don't know what i'm gonna do when you leave. karl is catching on to me and he's literally the only other person i hang out with right now."

"what about those two guys from today?" she asked, referring to foolish and alex.

"they're always at football with clay." george explained his worries, "they probably think i did something wrong."

stas furrowed her eyebrows, taking the makeup brush away from george's face for a moment to dip it back into the product she was using. "i thought you did do something wrong," she recalled.

"i kind of did," george admitted. "that's just the way i see it though. i didn't know jace was going to be literally fucking insane, but he was."

she shrugged before getting back to work on george's cheekbones. "you barely even need contour- your face shape is literally perfect," she complimented.

"oh i definitely need it," george argued. "i am so disgustingly pale right now. so much that my mom pointed it out and asked if i was okay."

"that's what bronzer is for, idiot," stas corrected. she told him, "your face is already darker than usual because i'm using the stuff that i use on you."

"you and your self tanner addiction," george joked, earning a poke to the neck with the end of the brush stas was holding. "ouch," his hand shot up to his neck.

stas giggled at george's reaction. "there's much worse things i could be addicted to," she defended herself.

george rolled his eyes. "i guess that's true."

when stas finally finished doing george's makeup, he essentially cried it all off. he really didn't want her to leave. he was terrified of being alone, but he needed to be alone. he couldn't constantly rely on other people to make him happy, especially because it seemed like it would be a while before clay was ready to end their break.

was it even a break anymore?

------

clay woke up in the middle of the night to his phone obnoxiously playing his ringtone. he had his ringer all the way up so his alarm for football in the morning would actually wake him up. he opened his eyes that were puffy and felt as if they were glued shut, then grabbed his phone from his nightstand. he was going to just hang up and go to sleep until he saw the contact name.

sapnap was calling him.

he picked up, of course, but not without a complaint about the time, "it's four in the fucking morning."

"woops," sapnap expressed. "time zones- sorry."

"it's fine, it's not like i ever sleep anyways," clay assured. he either slept for twenty hours straight or didn't sleep at all. there was no in between. he asked, "what's up?"

"you can go back to sleep if you want to," sapnap told him. he recognized with a light laugh, "you sound really fucking tired."

"if you called me in the middle of the night you probably need to talk to me about something," clay guessed.

sapnap confirmed, "yeah. i kinda do."

clay urged, his voice slurred with exhaustion, "well, what is it?"