{ 22 }

"actually, i saw something very interesting a few days ago."

"something interesting?"

"very," wilbur confirmed over the phone.

"well tell me," he urged. "i'll keep it a secret, i promise."

wilbur took in a deep breath before revealing, "i saw george with a guy who wasn't clay at the coffee shop."

the other was shocked; more shocked than he should've been with the small amount of information, "holy shit- really?"

"yes, alex. really," wilbur verified. "they seemed like they were just friends though," he disclosed.

"george doesn't have any other friends, idiot," alex told him. "what did he look like?"

wilbur pictured jace in his head and tried to describe him, "his hair was dark, dark brown. darker than george's; it was almost black." he continued, "he was probably just over six feet tall... oh, and he had blue eyes. the type of blue eyes that are kind of terrifying if you look at them for too long."

"motherfucker," alex expressed. he could be heard banging his hand on a table or something from his end of the call.

"what?" wilbur questioned, "you know who it was?"

alex responded, "hell yeah i do. it's jace."

wilbur was quiet for a few minutes, trying to see if he knew the name. he didn't. "jace who?"

"he's this weirdo we met at the beach who wouldn't leave george alone and it really pissed clay off. i'm pretty sure george promised he wouldn't talk to him or something," alex recalled.

"so this jace kid is into george?" wilbur figured. "he did look at him a little... too longingly."

"holy fucking shit george is cheating on clay," alex spat out quickly. "oh my god."

"alex, relax," wilbur demanded. "it's not like they were making out or something- they were literally just talking. also, they left in separate cars. that personally makes me doubt that anything was happening between them."

alex bit the inside of his cheek as he thought for a moment. he decided, "we need to tell clay."

"george isn't cheating," wilbur insisted.

"then why did you make it seem so suspicious?" alex asked. "i think we need to tell him. whether they were just acting like friends or not, i think clay needs to know that george is talking to that freak."

wilbur wondered, "is jace really that bad? he didn't seem creepy."

"you saw him at a coffee shop, i interacted with him and hung out with him and witnessed his 'i want to steal george' behavior," alex argued.

"okay well, i'm not telling him," wilbur decided.

"then i am," alex offered.

wilbur advised, "just don't exaggerate it. i don't wanna get clay all worked up over something small like this."

"this is not small," alex claimed.

------

george was back at clay's house for the third time that week. clay was doing better, and he knew it was because he had stopped pushing george away.

sunlight crept through the blinds of clay's room as the two made out on the bed. it could've been hours or seconds since their lips first touched; they had no idea. all they needed was each other to keep themselves entertained.

kisses were littered across necks, shoulders, stomachs, thighs, and everywhere else that was exposed by their clothing.

clay was sat up against the headboard with george in his lap, and they were beyond lost in their own world.