Chapter 9

We walk in and get seated pretty quickly. The waiter comes over and asks what we want to drink and eat.

"A cheeseburger and a water for me please" I say.

"Same" Jackson says.

We sit quietly and awkwardly for a while until I speak up.

"What is your major?" I ask.

"I'm studying to be a writer" he says.

"No way me too. You don't look like someone who reads books and writes"

"What is a writer supposed to look like then Ellie?" He asks smiling.

"I don't know. You just don't look like a writer. You look like a bad boy" I say smiling and blushing.

"Seems to me you like bad boys....Ellie" he says leaning closer to me.

My face gets hot, and he starts laughing.

"Hey!!! That was mean" I say blushing.

"I know but you obviously liked it" he says laughing.

The waiter brings the food and we both devour our burgers.

"Oh my god. That was so good" I say patting my belly.

"Are you sober now?" Jackson asks.

"Yes I do believe I am. Ready to take me home?" I ask.

"No but I'll take you anyway" he says.

"What do you mean?" I ask blushing.

"Let's go outside" he says.

We walk outside and he grabs my hand.

"I just like spending time with you. You keep my mind off of all the bullshit" he says.

I blush and stare at the ground.

He reaches his hand up to grab my face.

"JACKSON" a man yells. He moves away from me completely like he's embarrassed.

"Dude what the hell are you doing here?" The random guy asks. "And who is she" he point to me.

"She was drunk at a party so I'm just taking her home" he says harshly.

I stare at him in shock and grab my keys from his hands now that I'm sober.

"You're serious right now?" I ask.

"What are you talking about? I was just giving you a ride home" he says harshly.

I give him a look of disgust and get in my car and leave.

What is wrong with him? We just had fun in there eating and he changed his whole demeanor when his friend showed up. Is he embarrassed to be seen around me?

I get home and take a shower and sit in there a little longer than usual trying to clear my mind. Might as well finish my essay and stop thinking about it. No point in stressing over somebody who is a total dick.

I get my books out and work on my essay when my phone starts ringing.

The screen flashes with Jackson's name.