Chapter Four-A day in the life of Jace and Marilyn

Fact #2 Eating a banana will cure depression

*song to side is the song I listened to while writing*

Chapter Four

Bad boys were a lot of trouble.

I mean, picture this; you’re in this garage filled with guitars and drum sets, there’s a dark, seedy atmosphere to everything and the people who filled it consisted of what they considered to be a band. Yes boys, girls and all adults who take time to read this; I Marilyn Jenson, the short girl, the one with big hair and of course the feet the size of peas, was sitting on a couch I was pretty sure was infested with bugs as I watched Jace’s best friend’s band practice.

Now why Lynn, are you watching Jace’s best friend play the guitar like he was constipated, you must be thinking and that was easy to answer. Firstly, Jace and I hadn’t really learnt all that much about each other in these past two weeks and with the quiz that would ultimately determine whether Jace and I would even make it past the first round in beating Beth’s butt, we were screwed. So like the brilliant girl I was, I decided that we would live a day of each other’s life and find out as much as we could for the quiz on Monday.

But God was I regretting the idea already. For starters, this ‘band’ rehearsal that I was watching was killing me minute by minute and Jace had somewhat disappeared with the drummer to go and wait for the lead singer at the entrance of the house. Unfortunately for me, that meant that I was stuck alone with the guitarist who was looking at me like I had rabies and was going to go all ape and attack him. So yeah, I wasn’t really sure why I was still sitting there on that bug infested couch.

“So uh,” the guitarist whom everyone called Mouse began, “you and Jace are together huh?”

I took in Mouse’s appearance as I surveyed him from the couch I sat on. He had long legs and well-built, but his hair was a shaggy brown and appeared as though it hadn’t been washed in days. I wasn’t sure whether to be repulsed by the fact of it or not. His eyes were partially hidden behind the mop of hair that covered his forehead, but from what I could tell, they were a dull shade of green. The most puzzling and complex part of Mouse was his name. He wasn’t tiny at all, heck he was quite average looking so it made no sense at all to me.

“Yeah,” I finally replied, “I guess you could say that.”

“Cool,” Mouse answered with a slight nod of his head.

I nodded too before I finally blurted, “So why do people call you Mouse?”

A grin spread across Mouse’s lips before he answered, “Oh that? I guess it started back when I was a kid. I was kind of short back then,” he laughed slightly as he added, “a bit like you actually.”

“Well what can I say,” I replied with a small smile of my own, “not everyone goes through a growth spurt.”

“I think it’s cute,” Mouse continued, “That you’re, you know, short?”

A genuine smile broke across my face, “Really?” I asked.

With a shrug, Mouse glanced down at his guitar as he responded, “Yeah. What’s wrong with a short girl?”

“A lot of things actually,” a voice cut in.

Turning to the door, Jace walked into the garage as he threw Mouse a look that I couldn’t quite explain. Mouse chose to fiddle with his guitar and didn’t meet Jace’s look and I frowned even more. With a sigh, Jace turned his attention to me and I found an unreadable expression pass through his eyes before he walked towards the couch and plonked down next to me.