Chapter Nineteen-Never trust the cocktails

Chapter Nineteen

Things had gotten out of control and when I say out of control, I really mean ‘out of control’.

I should start from the beginning.

It had been a Friday night and I had decided that I would complete my Maths homework which I had skipped out on for the past two days when the doorbell rang. I made an effort to huff and puff as I slouched towards the door because Dad had been home and throwing me the evil eye about the fact that Mrs Davis had called Dad in to complain about my ‘tardiness’.

As soon as my hand wrapped around the doorknob, I swung the door open and hoped that it would be some rich and famous celebrity to claim me as their daughter. Unfortunately my imagination got the better of me and so when my eyes landed on Jace, I merely managed a greeting which sounded more like a feral growl from Juno.

Jace noticed. “Clearly someone has spent too much of their time with a said cat.”

“What do you want,” I muttered. Then I glanced towards the living room only to realise that Dad had mysteriously disappeared.

“If this is one of those PMS days Pipsqueak then you should let me know well in advance,” Jace remarked.

My eyes narrowed and he grinned. “I’m busy with homework.”

“Oh,” Jace commented then entered without my permission. I frowned but shut the door.

“Seriously,” I responded, “Dad’s not really happy that Mrs Davis called him to complain about his only daughter slacking off in class.”

Jace raised an eyebrow at the dining room table. It was heaped with strewn books and the Maths assignments which I had failed in copying from Eliza the morning of their due dates. Then he turned back and smirked at me in his charming way before he took a seat at the table. After a while, I realised that he wasn’t going to budge so I sighed and made a great deal about muttering about my grades and future.

“Maybe if you just paid attention in class instead of doodling in your book,” Jace replied.

”Really?” I asked. “You’re going to sit there and lecture me about doodling in my books?”

Jace shrugged. “Hey I’m not the one getting calls from Aunt Davis, am I?”

“Shut up,” I growled.

Then to make a point that I wasn’t flaking out in Maths, I took my seat and pulled my assignments towards me. I glanced down at the pages filled with mind-boggling questions before I looked up at Jace again. There was a faint smirk along his lips and for the first time since he arrived, I noticed that his eyes were light with excitement.

“Okay spill,” I demanded. “What was so important that you had to rush over here and ruin my Maths session?”

Jace grinned. “Nothing, nothing at all.”

I glared.

“Okay, okay,” he surrendered. “Give a guy a break would you?”

“Get it out already,” I muttered.

“You know Bianca-”

“No I don’t know Bianca,” I retorted. “What kind of a question is that?”

It was Jace’s turn to glare at me and I kept my mouth closed. “I didn’t finish. Right so Bianca,” Jace threw me a pointed look, “is having a party tonight and she wanted me to invite you.”

“Me?” I asked. “But why?”

“She likes you,” Jace answered. Then he sighed. “Don’t ask me why, but she thinks that you’re fun.”