Chapter Fourteen-It's the attack of the Juno

(Sorry if the chapter's short)

Chapter Fourteen

The word mystery stuck to Jace Collins like heavy smoke.

It weaselled its way in and out of his clothes and clung to his dark, messy hair with a force so powerful, it was hard to break free of it. You could see the mystery in his grey eyes, it caused it to cloud over whenever you asked him a question too personal and then it formed a wall so high, you’d have to be a giant to climb over it. This was the mystery that took hold of Jace Collins, it was the unbreakable kind.

I stared up at the very man, watching as his grey eyes darkened so that they were almost as black as his night hair. His smirk was dangerous and cold, the kind that would send shudders down your spine in fear. His hands clenched and unclenched as I stood there, glaring hotly at him, defying every word he had just spoken. I could hear the laughter and voices from the bonfire drifting towards us and all I could think of was Jace Collins.

The sound of thunder rattled the sky in the distance and a spark of lightning raced through the clouds. Goosebumps rose along my skin, but I ignored it, my entire focus was on Jace Collins and our staring match. In the night, Jace looked a lot like some handsome stranger you steered clear of. His square jaw and straight nose stared back at me as a scowl crept onto his lips like a silent panther. I noticed that his jaw clenched before he finally made an annoyed sound at the back of his throat.

“You won’t understand,” he muttered, “you never would.”

I scoffed, “Of course I wouldn’t understand, because you never tell me anything!”

Jace turned his attention to his bike for a split second before he finally replied, “That’s because you don’t need to know everything Pipsqueak.”

I shuddered at the annoyance in his tone as his said ‘pipsqueak’ and chose to ignore the strange nauseating feeling of hurt that crossed my chest. It was irrational to feel hurt by Jace; after all we weren’t even dating in reality. He was just a guy and I was just a girl, we were friends at most but nothing more. After the competition ends, we would be walking in opposite directions and never speaking to each other again.

“You’re right,” I muttered, “I don’t need to know everything because, hey,” I rambled, “I’m just that girl you’re doing a favour for right? It doesn’t matter what she thinks and it certainly doesn’t matter that you keep secrets from her because she’s nothing to you,” I ended, my tone coming out sharper than I had intended.

Jace opened his mouth to protest but I raised my hand up, silencing him, “Save it Jace. I’ll find my own way home,” I bit out.

I turned around on my heel and began to march off but was stopped when Jace grabbed my arm and pulled me back towards him. I could feel the anger radiating off of him, but strangely enough, I knew it wasn’t directed at me. His eyes bored into mine before he enunciated, “You are so annoying.”

“The feeling’s mutual,” I hissed.

Jace narrowed his eyes as he replied, “What is the big deal?”

“The big deal is that you won’t tell me anything Jace,” I emphasised.

“It shouldn’t bother you,” Jace finally replied, “It’s my life, not yours.”

I ground my teeth together before letting out an annoyed cry, “You’re so infuriating!”

Jace opened his mouth to speak but was cut off when Bianca suddenly emerged. Her auburn hair looked like fire in the night and her eyes flashed with concern as they moved between Jace and me. “Trouble in paradise,” Bianca asked.