Chapter Twenty Four-An ominous transition

**Sorry if there are any spacing problems...I'm uploading from my tablet**

Chapter Twenty-Four

We were supposed to quit the competition. But it never happened.

I suppose it was because everything suddenly spiralled out of control. I don't think I could have ever imagined it happening, but it did. And suddenly, the competition was not the biggest problem in my life. It was Jace Collins. The guy who I had instructed myself to get over. Only fate didn't seem to like that idea very much and so I found myself in a situation I could hardly comprehend.

It happened when John came over. He was supposed to have a recording session with Dad in the studio. Dad had gone out to the store and so I was left alone when John arrived. I had to admit, I did feel uneasy about letting him inside, but then again, I didn't feel comfortable about bringing up what Bianca had told me.

"You're alone huh," John commented.

I nodded. "Yeah. Dad will be here soon though."

My voice came out high and strained. John raised his eyebrows at me then grinned. "Didn't realise your voice was still breaking."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm a girl, remember?"

"How could I forget," John replied. There was something suggestive in his tone, but I pushed it out of my mind.

"Do you want something to drink while you wait," I asked. I needed to keep myself busy, otherwise I knew I was going to lose it and run out screaming like a terrified banshee.

"Nope," John answered. "Messes with the vocal cords and I need it to be in tip-top shape before I record my new song."

I nodded. Glancing around the lounge, I realised that to escape, I would have to move past John. And if he did go bat-crazy then I'd probably have to go all ninja on his butt. Except I wasn't a ninja and John would probably beat me in a struggle easily. I sighed. Where was my father when I needed him?

Silence threatened to take over the dying conversation, but it was John who revived it.

"So you and Jace huh?" he asked.

His question took me by surprise. I knew that Jace had warned me about John, I just didn't understand why until Bianca had told me about him. Yet, as I stared at John's face, I realised that there was something more posed in his question as he regarded me with serious eyes. Something that I couldn't quite place my finger on.

"Uh yeah," I mumbled. I daren't tell John that everything was fake. It would make me seem like an immature preteen with nothing better to do with her life.

"How'd that happen? The last time I checked, the guy wasn't even into dating," John stated.

I shrugged. "School does that to you."

John grinned but it didn't last long. "His got a reputation, you know that right?"

"Everyone's got a reputation," I replied. But I noted the way John had said it. Almost as if he knew something that I didn't.

"Yeah," John agreed. Then he ran a hand through his brown hair. "But Jace is the type of guy that will screw you over."

I frowned.

"I don't mean to be offensive," John began after he noticed my expression, "I'm just warning you to not get attached."

"What do you mean?" I asked. I felt confused. Why didn't everyone just say what they meant?

Shrugging, John replied, "He's caught up in some bad people."

"Like Martin?" I blurted.

John narrowed his eyes. "You know about him?"