Chapter Twenty Nine-Ain't that the truth?

Chapter Twenty-Nine

“How about this one?” Eliza asked.

I tilted my head. The dress she pointed at reminded me of a peacock. Bright feathers spread from the waist. My nose wrinkled. I was not going to look like a jungle freak. Not at the dance where I would possibly-and hopefully-beat Beth at a competition. And you know, like in all cliché movies, become some instantly popular and carefree girl. No one said that dreaming never became a reality, right?

“You’re joking,” I stated. My eyes narrowed at Eliza. “Please tell me you’re joking.”

We were in a boutique in the city. Eliza’s aunt owned it, and as per Eliza’s promise, we were getting me a dress from here. Although, Eliza’s aunt seemed more inclined on doing a makeover on me rather than just loaning me a dress for a night. Still, I was grateful to her. The dresses in the boutique were unique, all completely different to the glittery prom dresses usually worn by hormonal girls.

“Of course I’m joking Lynn,” Eliza emphasised. She grinned at me. “But I bet you that Jace won’t mind.”

I groaned. “When will you stop?”

“Don’t you know me by now?” Eliza retorted. “That means never.”

I was beginning to regret revealing everything that happened at camp to Eliza.

“Anyway,” she drawled, “I think you owe me a ‘thank you’.”

“For what,” I asked.

I paused in front of a rack. The dresses ranged from a bright, cherry red to a deep maroon. My fingers ran across the material as I watched my best friend with furrowed eyebrows.

“For predicting that you and Jace would end up together,” Eliza retorted. “God Lynn, it’s like you’ve forgotten me since you and Jace shacked up together.”

“We did not shack up,” I scoffed. “Nothing more than you know, kissing, happened.”

“Yeah, and Will and I decided to talk about his small-”

“Eliza,” I hissed. My eyes widened. “Seriously, I do not want to know about Will and you know, his stuff.”

Eliza gazed down at a blue dress. It was a deep, sapphire colour.

“I’m hurt,” she sniffled. She failed to hide her smirk. “I have to listen about your relationship woes and I’m not allowed to talk to you about Will?”

I frowned. “Of course you can talk about Will, but not about his private stuff.” I folded my arms over my chest. “Besides, I thought you guys sorted out the, well, problem.”

Eliza’s cheeks reddened. Glancing away from me, she began to stroll down the aisle. Eliza’s aunt had closed the boutique, just for us. I made a mental note to buy her some chocolates and flowers when I returned the dress back. But something told me that she didn’t mind having Eliza and me in the store. She confessed that she was done looking for a man to settle down with, and devoted her time with fashion.

“Eliza,” I called. “What aren’t you telling me?”

Eliza sighed deeply. She glanced around, but with no sign of her aunt anywhere, she turned to me.

“Well the thing is,” Eliza replied, “I may have lied to cover up what happened between Will and me.”

“You lied about what exactly?” I questioned.

She tucked a strand of hair behind an ear. “Well, I told Will that he was really big and I was just trying to be all cool when we first did it.”