Bonus Chapter: Jace's POV #2

So sorry for taking forever to update, read author's note for explanation and further info on you know-stuff. Trailer to the side is really for my other story but I figured why not just share it with you guys too?

Jace’s POV #2

My life was messed up.

It happened a few years back, when my Dad left with some ‘other woman’. Yeah right. The girl was straight out of high school, carrying my father’s child because he got her pregnant after he realised that she was more than willing to be his personal assistant. And that’s when Laura went haywire.

She met a guy called Martin and at first, he was al alright guy. And then after he moved in, he started to show his fucked up self. There was always a party happening at our tiny house, with people I could never remember in the morning and for some time, I never knew why. That was when I found about why Martin was so smooth and easily abled to get into our house.

He was a drug lord. A stinking rich and powerful drug lord. He needed a place to stay, somewhere he could still keep the business and stay under the radar, especially from the cops. Laura didn’t seem to notice, or maybe she had, maybe that’s why she let him enter our lives. Because he was so ‘organised’. I hated him from the start though.

Martin was bossy. He always walked around our place like he owned it, and I guess he did. Always paying the bills, buying our food and making sure that we still had hot water to use, Martin was in control of our lives. That’s when Laura started retreating more into herself. She wasn’t seen until after two and that was if she was having a good day.

Martin didn’t seem to mind. He had girls following him wherever he went. They were like lost puppies, high and always available whenever Martin called. Despite having all these women around him, Martin never left Laura, he never kicked her or me out, treating us like we were his own. It made me feel fucking disgusted.

I always felt uneasy around Martin. He had this smile, this look that made you realise that he knew more than he let you see. It wasn’t a good kind of look, it was the kind your parents warned you about. He was scary, so goddamn scary but I had long since gotten scared of Martin. He wasn’t as powerful as he liked to believe.

It started when there was a fight outside of our house. I had just gotten back from Bianca’s, when I saw Martin outside our house, yelling like the asshole he was. He was shouting at some guy, who was taller and a lot bigger. But the strange thing was that the bigger guy looked afraid of Martin.

Even back then I knew when to disappear, be scarce. But Martin saw me before I could leave. He had a way with seeing me especially when I wanted to be invisible. The bigger man looked at me too then and for the first time since I had seen him, I noticed that his hands were trembling and that his eyes were red, bloodshot.

“Come over Jace and say hello to my friend here,” Martin called.

I didn’t want to move. My legs froze and I stood there, glaring at the man who had weaselled his way into our lives.

“For fucks sake,” Martin cursed, “I said get your ass over here. You don’t want to be rude to my friend right?”

Martin watched me like a shark. Slowly, my will cracked and I inched closer towards them. By then I was already growing taller, I was almost Martin’s height at fifteen and almost his width. The big man was staring at Martin with open fear now. I didn’t know why until then.

“Tell Bill here what happens to people who don’t pay my money Jace,” Martin threatened.

I swallowed a lump. Glancing back towards the house, I noticed that the blinds to Laura’s window was still closed. She hadn’t woken up since I left school and I’d be lying if I said that I was surprised. Laura never bothered getting out of bed before night, she said ‘Why bother? All the good parties only come out when the stars do”.