Chapter Ten-Being a little rebellious never hurts

Hey dudes, song to the side kinda relates to how Lynn feels, remember to listen!

Chapter Ten

Trying to keep up with having a fake relationship was a hard job.

Firstly, you’d have to pretend at school that you were smitten with the one guy at Chesterville High that did not-and I repeat that-did not have relationships which lasted more than two weeks. And even though Jace was relatively new-well more or less new after he returned since his mysterious departure-everyone knew that he wasn’t the type of guy that played ‘boyfriend’.

And since Beth had at one stage dated Jace, she was suddenly watching his comings and goings like a hawk-a very beady, blue-eyed hawk with boobs the size of Texas and a skirt so short you could see her tonsils when she bent over. Yes, it was Beth who was literally forcing Jace and I to be more of a couple than we wished to be-but as they say ‘beauty is pain’ and then something about shallow girls and their mascara-the point is, that if I didn’t try, then I wasn’t going to beat Beth once and for all.

The second bit of having a fake relationship was just that-it was false. I still knew next to nothing about Jace, better put by Juno as, ‘Purr, purr, meow.’ And what I deciphered out of my useless conversation with my cat as I had changed into pyjamas was the fact that I sucked at understanding cats and that Juno really wasn’t the best person to go to when I had to talk about boys. The cat was meowing to Marty for God’s sake! She had no morals, she was like a prostitute on Viagra-it was all hormones-emphasis being on ‘moans’.

So it brings me to the third thing about how hard fake-dating really was a hard job-the pretending you were in love.

When it was just Jace and I, everything was completely fine. We were more like best friends-scratch that, just friends; okay fine we were like colleagues-and then suddenly around school-read Beth-we were somehow a lot more sugary sweet to each other leaving us feeling all awkward similar to catching your parents’ making out on the couch and realising that they must have done something to have created you.

But shudders aside, that was not the point.

The point was that Jace and I had agreed to spend a lot more of our time together out of school-even if somehow we ended up back to square one with tons of threats and insults between Jace and Brett-to get to know each other better. I had to admit, the idea that was brought up by the man in question was actually smarter than the silly notes I had made, but I wasn’t going to admit that-not ever.

It was the whole act of spending more time together that brought me to where I was currently.

‘The Jazz House’ was the proper name of the garage-like building in the middle of Chesterville. It was home to many musicians-famous or not-and because of the swarm of young indie bands-read high school bands that thought they were big-‘The Jazz House’ had quickly been nicknamed ‘Joint’. Now while I wasn’t much of a musician despite my father managing a few upcoming bands, I still enjoyed good music and to get into the Joint, you’d have to be somewhat a celebrity or as much as a celebrity you could be here in Chesterville.

And to be a celebrity in Chesterville, you’d have to be either very rich-which I was not-and very attractive-something my hair and height robbed me of.

But Jace Collins-now he was attractive-and even though he wasn’t spitting out money like a billionaire, he still ranked pretty high on the ‘Celebrity’ list. The only problem was, unless you had enough money to slip the bouncer-who really was just a guard who worked day shifts at the local mall-you were going to get nowhere near the inside of the Joint. The closest I had ever gotten was the pavement next to the building-and that was almost five metres away!