Chapter Thirty Two-Happily Ever After

• Dedicated to all fans of The Bad Boy

Chapter Thirty-Two

I had always wanted to be rescued by a knight in shining armour. I hadn't realised that I was going to become one. Well, at least somewhat. My heart was racing and it was hard to breathe. For a long time, I thought that maybe this was all just a nightmare. That I would wake up in my own bed and find out that this was just a weird figment of my imagination to deal with the nervousness from the Valentine's Dance.

But it wasn't a dream. And it wasn't a nightmare. It was real.

Eliza gripped my hand tightly, as we followed John. The sky had gone dark, the first signs of stars glittering in the sky. It almost seemed too beautiful to fit in with what was happening. As though, somehow, everything else was normal. My stomach twisted. I wanted to retch, but I couldn't. I wouldn't.

John stopped. Turning to face us, he spoke, "Look, you still have time to go back home. It's not safe for either of you."

A part of me wanted to listen to John and flee. But then I thought of Jace, tied down to that chair with his mother pointing a gun to his head. I balled my hands into fists and took a deep breath. I was going to be brave. Even if it meant that I would probably get killed in the process. Trying to save Jace was better than not doing anything.

"No," I replied. Then I looked at Eliza. "You should go back. I don't want you to get hurt, I'd never forgive myself."

Eliza scowled. Her fear dissipated instantly. "Are you insane, Lynn? I'm not leaving my best friend to deal with a crazy drug lord on her own."

I smiled gratefully at Eliza. No matter how guilty I felt about letting her come along, I was glad to have her with me then.

"I hope you know what you're getting yourselves into," John muttered. Sighing, he nodded towards a door at the side of the warehouse. "We can slip in through there. Pull up your hoods and don't make eye contact, got it?"

I nodded. "Y-yeah."

Doing as John had instructed, Eliza and I followed him into the warehouse. The first thing I noticed were the crates stacked high, all around us. They were the same crates from outside, the only difference was that they held boxes upon boxes. I breathed in, but the only smell that I got was the faint odour of cigarettes.

"It doesn't smell," I commented.

John shot me a glare. "They're sealed. Now keep quiet."

Eliza squeezed my hand, as John led us past the crates. There were a few men, who were laughing at something while others were stacking the boxes in the crates. I swallowed a lump, my eyes downcast and my heart racing. I couldn't help but notice the ease at which John walked into the warehouse. He seemed to fit in here, a lot better than with music at the studio.

"Hey John-o," a burly man called. "Who are the fellas with you?"

John grinned. If I didn't know any better, I would never have guessed that he was lying.

"Just some guys Martin wants to see," John answered. He nudged towards another room. "You know, to take care of family stuff."

The man nodded, understanding passing through his face. "Oh yeah, good luck with that. He's got the mother there with a gun. If I were you, I'd watch my step in there."

I felt a shudder running down my spine. It would only take a matter of seconds for Laura to pull the trigger. The thought of Jace being shot sent a chill through my body. I hadn't felt like this in a long time, not since Mum had died. My throat tightened, and I was glad for the hoodie. It hid my face, and my stinging eyes.