Chapter Thirty One-It's do or die

Chapter Thirty-One

It was the day of the Valentine’s Ball. My hair was done. And so was my makeup-Eliza had to help me with it, apparently I really don’t know the difference between bronzer and foundation. The only thing that was left was for me to put on my dress. It hung from its hanger, atop of my dresser. I had yet to remove it from its bag-because I just knew that I’d mess it up somehow.

My gaze shifted onto my best friend-who might I add, was dateless. Ever since her talk with her aunt Claire, Eliza had been mulling over her feelings with Will. Deciding that the feelings in her lady garden was a sign from her stars, Eliza broke it off with Will and for the first time ever, she was the single one in our weird dynamic.

“What do you think?” she asked. She was applying a red gloss over her lips. “Too much?”

“If you don’t plan on kissing anyone then yes, it’s perfect,” I replied.

Eliza rolled her eyes at me. “I told you Lynn, I’m over boys.” She puckered her mouth.

I frowned at her. “Why do I have a feeling that your attitude won’t last long?”

“Because it never does,” she admitted, with a grin. She glanced at my dress. “Now go on, put on that dress. I want to get the whole effect.”

My fingers unzipped the bag and I sighed a little sigh. No matter how much I stared at the dress, I could never tire of staring at it in awe. It glittered with just the right amount of gold and sparkled with just enough sequins. I finally understood why so many girls got so protective over dresses during prom. No one wanted someone else to wear their dream dress.

“Stop eye-raping the thing,” Eliza teased, “and just put it on already.”

I scoffed. “It was not rape. Or eye-rape for that matter. The dress consented.”

As I pulled the dress out of its bag, I turned to examine myself in the mirror. My hair was open, but tame for once. The frizz that I always suffered from was now tame-thanks to a boatload of hairspray-and my makeup had been done lightly enough that it didn’t resemble something Beth would use-you know, the tacky bright lipstick and super flawless skin. Okay that was an exaggeration. Beth was still pretty, even without the makeup-I think I just puked a little.

Slipping out of my dressing gown, I slipped on the dress. Just like it had when I tried it on, the dress fit my body snugly. It accentuated my waist and flared from my hips. And for once, the length was just the right amount of long-you would be surprised by how much I had to alter the lengths of my jeans, it was the woes of short people.

“Zip me up?” I asked.

Eliza zipped the dress for me and stepped away. We both stared at our reflections in the mirror. For a moment, it seemed like some scene in a movie. Best friends getting ready for a dance with amazing dresses and fabulous hairdos. I almost laughed at the strangeness of it all. Never in a million years would I have predicted that it would ever happen to me.

“Jace is a lucky guy,” Eliza murmured. She grinned at me. “Seriously, you look great.”

I smiled in return. “You look even better.”

Eliza beamed at me, before twirling around in her black dress. She decided that if I was going glam then she was most definitely going Goth. Although, Eliza looked more sultry than Goth. But I had a good feeling she already knew that. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard my phone buzzing. I fumbled around my room, until I found it, hidden beneath my pillow.

“Hello?”

There was a pause on the other end.

My mouth curled into a frown. “Uh, hello? Anyone there?”