Chapter Twenty Eight-Stalk the lantern (Camping Trip part 2)

Chapter Twenty-Eight

There was a reason why not everyone was athletic.

The main reason was me. Obviously no one got the memo, otherwise I wouldn’t have been puffing away through a hike with the rest of the group. Needless to say, the cold weather did nothing to cool down my red face and sweaty skin. I didn’t need a mirror to know how awful I looked. What was worse was Beth, prancing around without a care. Curse her long legs.

Spirit of Adventure was bigger than it had originally seemed, the forest expanding into all directions. The air was fresh and smelled clean with each breath I took. Refreshing. Well, it would have been if I wasn’t gasping. Short legs were meant for walking on flat ground and in short steps. Hiking up a steep hill with twigs and rocks sticking out everywhere was definitely not my cup of tea.

“You need a break?” Jace asked.

His grey eyes implored my face. There was a hint of a smirk on his lips, but I detected concern in his eyes. As much as my body was demanding for a break, I was determined not to give in. Especially when Beth kept glancing back at me with a smug look on her face. The whole point of the camping trip was to pretend that I was in love with Jace Collins and to put the blonde girl in her place, once and for all.

“No,” I panted. “Who needs a break? Not me.”

Jace raised an eyebrow. “You sure?” He turned towards the rest of the group, who were ahead of us. “Because we’re pretty far back.”

“Have you never heard the story about the tortoise and the hare?” I asked. Another gulp for air. “Because I’m pretty sure the tortoise won that race.”

“You do know that we’re people, right Pipsqueak?” Jace asked.

I scowled. “It’s the theme.” Breathing in deeply, I muttered, “Slow and steady wins the race.”

“Sometimes fast and furious is a lot more fulfilling,” Jace insinuated.

My eyebrows furrowed at the double-meaning of his words. “That’s disgusting.”

“How would you know?” he asked. He frowned. “Unless of course, you’re experienced.”

“No,” I scoffed. I glared at Jace.

He merely grinned in return.

I was glad for the silence that grew between us. Talking about sex with someone other than Eliza felt awkward. Especially when that someone was Jace, the guy I was fake-dating. Focusing on the hike instead, I pushed forward, covering more distance than I would have talking. Maybe that was my problem. I spoke too much. That was my problem. Talking. Perhaps I would have been a great athlete if I tried.

Or maybe not.

By the time I reached the top of the cliff, where everyone had gathered, I was certain that I was going to pass out. My breathlessness did nothing, however, to steal away the view of the forest below. A large waterfall crashed down in the valley, obscured by the rows of trees. We were close enough to feel the light mist which floated around the edge of the cliff, but far away that the drop down looked dangerous enough to kill.

Jace peeped over my shoulder. “Looks great, doesn’t it?” he asked.

I nodded. My eyes moved onto his. As our gazes locked, I felt my breath get stuck in my throat. The moment was interrupted by Beth, the wicked witch cast into my life.

“What did you even bring with you?” she asked. Her blue eyes were narrowed at my bag.

It was bulging, and I suppose it was partially to blame for the struggle I had with the hike. I wasn’t sure when we were supposed to get back to the campsite-the camp instructors seemed to enjoy being vague-so I had packed as much food as I could into my bag. I had watched enough shows to know that if I was stranded or got lost in the woods that my food would at least last me a month until I was found.