{ANGST} The Forgotten One [ Xiao x Reader ]

.

Small footsteps filled the quiet hallway of Wangshu Inn, a familiar giggle could be heard near the kitchen.
A pair of hands tried to reach the counter that was too tall for this little thief, searching for something she loved the most. 
The feeling of the cold porcelain made her smile as she slowly pulled it her way. 

" 宝宝,"
(Bao bao, baby)

A deep voice called out, making the little girl yelp.
She felt her body being lifted before seeing the face of her capturer.

Dim light from the standing lantern created a silhouette, revealing a male and a little girl in his arms. 
The pout on the girl's face was so visible as the latter tried his best to look as stern as possible. 

" 莹玉, (Yíng Yù), what were you doing just now?"

"I tried to take the plate of Almond Tofu...,"

"And what did I tell you about that?"

"It belongs to the mortals and I shouldn't touch it,"

"There you go, why did you try then?"

The adeptus child looked away, feeling embarrassed to get scolded by her father.
Sighing, Xiao brought his daughter back upstairs and locked his bedroom which he rarely used. 

" Sleep, Yíng Yù. It's too late for you to be awake,"

He stood up, but before he dispersed into black fog, something pulled the back of his hanfu. 

"But, papa, I can't sleep..., Will you... stay here?"

Something in her eyes made him give up as he sat on the bed and patted his girl's head.
The comfortable silence took place while both father and daughter were deep in their thoughts.

It surely has been a while since Xiao last felt the softness of the bed or the feeling of someone there with him.
As the memories replayed, the beautiful lullaby he used to hear slipped off his lips.
'Above the Sea of Clouds', was the name, someone dear used to sing it for him so he could sleep. 

"Papa,"

"Yes, Yíng Yù?"

"Grandma Ping also sings the song you were singing just now,"

"Is that so?... Then,... do you want me to sing you to sleep, Bao bao?"

An excited nod answered the question.
The teal-haired adeptus smiled slightly and tucked his little daughter into the warm blankets as a soft tune filled the room. 
With his hand caressing Yíng Yù's hair, he closed his eyes and enjoyed the moment.

Years have passed,
Her name was fading from people's memories, forgotten.

Storytellers mentioned her legend, but most of them were just myths and fiction.
The real her, the self he knew, disappeared with time.
Sometimes, Xiao felt like he was the only one left to remember her.

As small snores caught his attention, he stopped his hand and watched the peaceful toddler sleeping. 
Xiao stood up and kissed her on the forehead, before dispersing into a fog. 

Soon, he found himself sitting by the Dihua Marsh.
He could see her dancing on the water among the horsetails, and himself, playing his little flute.
Her smile was engraved in his mind, the smile that made him forget about the weight of this world. 

Before a drop of tear could fall, he left as quietly as he could be, returning to his duties and bearing the pain. 

~

As the sun set,

Xiao found himself holding a bouquet of Qingxin flowers at the foot of Mount Hulao. 
The Conqueror of Demons made his way to the small stone slate by the water.

Setting the flowers down, he kneeled in front of the carved stone.
Tears flowed down as he was unable to hold them back, his hand grasping his chest tightly.

He cried in silence, accompanied by the rustling wind and flowing waters.

He cried for his beloved, the one who stayed by his until her last day, as the archons gave her no chance to live her days as a family with their daughter.
He cried for himself, for losing the only one who understood him, the one who could soothe his pain, and the one who made him smile in the darkest era.
He cried for Yíng Yù, his little girl, as she had to grow up without the love of a mother.

Hours passed as the yaksha teared up in pain and agony,

Slowly, he brought himself up and wiped his face.
As the night fell, Xiao kissed the stone slate and disappeared along with the wind. 

The beautiful bouquet of Qingxin decorated the gravestone with the name ' (Y/n) ' carved on it. 

•°•°•°•

| i...im crying... help... i know this idea popped on its own in my head but im crying-
also 

Y/n died from giving birth to Yíng Yù, she only held her once and kissed the baby before she died 
Morals, mothers r really out there gambling with life when they r giving birth, ily and now imma cry  |