Chapter 6 - Hi, Anni!

Raagavi's POV

My mind was still reeling. Rudransh and I were to be betrothed in a week. The wedding would be two weeks after the betrothal. The plans for the wedding were simpler than I would've expected, given the status of Rudransh's family, with a limited number of guests. It did relieve me to know that it will not be an extravagant affair.

Once the planning was done, we left the restaurant. I was quiet on the ride back home, while Amma was busy chattering about my wedding which was in three weeks.

When I gave the information to my friends, they were as shocked as me. They were shocked enough to come to my house immediately after they were done for the day.

"Raagavi, please tell me that this is some elaborate prank and you're just pulling our legs" Vaamika practically begged.

"Is it really in three weeks?!", asked Vrunda incredulously.

"Wait, what did I miss? You are getting betrothed in a week?!" asked Vaidehi, as she entered the room.

Shivika took notice of my deer-in-headlights look and shush them. "Raagavi, how are you feeling about this?"

I threw my arms around Shivika, held tight and cried my heart out. She saw right through me, she knew what I needed. Soon it turned into a group hug as all of them consoled me. I finally relaxed.

"So, what's his name?," asked Vaamika, taking the glass of water from me after I had downed it in one gulp.

"Rudransh." Vaamika nodded, looking thoughtful.

"You know what? I say we go see him and talk about this whole thing" said Vrunda.

My temper reared its ugly head. "Nobody will see him and nobody will talk to him," I said. They were stunned. "If this is my fate I gladly accept it."

The house was bustling with activity the next few days as the preparations for the betrothal went on, while I drowned myself in work at the hospital, barely spending any time at home.

My brother, Lakshman, came back from the US. He went there 3 years ago. He is 27 years old. He went there for the further studies. He has a start up that was doing really good. He is my biggest pillar of support. He has been there for me since the day I was born.

"Hey kathirika (brinjal), looks like someone's getting married," he joked. "You didn't bother calling me this week. I was expecting a call from you immediately after the meeting."

"I was busy," I defended myself.

"Oh, so that's how it is," he chuckled. "Anyway, I am going to meet my brother-in-law-to-be. You wanna come?," asked Lakshman.

I looked perplexed. "Why would I want to come?" I asked.

"Usually girls will want to meet up with the guy they are marrying and get to know them," my brother rolled his eyes.

"No thank you, I am quite busy, and I got places to be, like the hospital for an instance," I said, as I grabbed my things and attempted a hasty escape. My brother grabbed me by hand and asked "Tell me, Raagavi, you don't want to get married? Be honest, please."

The dam that I had carefully constructed to hold back my tears burst open and tears started flowing like a river. "I don't want to, but nobody wants to listen to me!."

"You know I'm always there for you, kathirika (brinjal). It's gonna be alright. I'll take care of it," my brother tried to assure me. I just shook my head sadly.

"Go on, don't be late," my brother pushed me out the door after a quick hug. I left.

I came home earlier than the usual days. I heard a unfamiliar voice laughing along with my brother's voice.

I entered the house to find Rudransh and Lakshman lounging on the sofa. I walk straight into my room. I was pulled right back out by my brother. That's when I noticed that there was a another person in the room. He was sat next to Rudransh, and was talking to him and laughing with him. Once he noticed that I was staring at him, he greeted "Hi, Anni." I stood there, dumbfounded by his choice of honorifics.

He chuckled. Rudransh got up and introduced him "Raagavi, meet Karthik. He is my best friend. He is more like my brother, if I'm being honest."

I shook his hand. I excused myself to my room after making small talk for a few minutes. Soon, Shivika, Vaidehi, Vrunda and Vaamika came home. They noticed the unfamiliar men sitting in the living room.

"Is that him?" asked Vrunda, pointing to Rudransh. I'd never know how she was always right at guessing people. I nodded.

"Which one?" asked Shivika, seemingly shaking off her daze. I had to introduce them sooner or later so I decided I might as well get over with it, and ushered them into the living room.

"Rudransh, these are my friends, Shivika, Vaidehi, Vrunda and Vaamika," pointing at each as I said their names. Rudransh offered a polite smile and shook their hands. Karthik introduced himself all the while eyeing Shivika. Shivika was looking at Rudransh curiously, and turned to me and gave a look that said 'we'll be talking about him later.'

After sometime, everyone left. Lakshman and I sat down on the terrace, stargazing the sky. My brother asked, "How many times have you seen Rudransh?"

I replied, "Today was the second time."

"Then why have you already decided that he isn't right for you?"

"Anna, it is not whether he is the right person or not, it whether I want to get married or not right now." I sighed. "It's useless to talk about it, mom wouldn't break this arrangement up anyway. I have resigned myself to getting married" I said.

We stared at the stars for sometime, contemplating. "Isn't your engagement day after tomorrow?" Asked Anna. I just nodded mutely.

*****************************************
Note from author:

Hello readers,
How do you like the story? Let me know how you feel about this chapter.
Please bear with any grammar mistakes you find in the story.
Hope you all like the story.

Keep reading.

Do vote, comment and share.

Beta Reader 5tar5torm

Follow me on Instagram @reshubalakrishnan

Love,
R❤️