Chapter 13 - Wedding part - 2

*Rudransh's POV*

I broke from my reverie once I became aware of the priest telling me what to do next. As per his instructions, I applied vermillion on Raagavi's forehead, which symbolised her marital status. Next up on the line of rituals was 'Talambralu'. I was supposed to poured the rice over Raagavi and her on me, but it ended up becoming a competition, as she was dragged behind by her bridesmaids as I tried to do just that, with Shivika spearheading the effort to defeat me.

********************************************
Talambralu*: The bride and groom pour 'Talambralu' (rice mixed with turmeric) on each other's head like a shower. First 3 times, the couple shower 'Talambralu' on each other properly, after that it is a competition on who pours more.
********************************************

After the Talambralu, the 'Dandalu'- exchange of garlands followed. Raagavi had toe rings placed on her toes. I placed the 'Nalla pusalu' (black beads) around her neck. For the ritual of 'Saptapadi' (seven steps), seven steps involved Raagavi holding 7 betelnuts while also holding my hands. Then, Raagavi and I pressed each other's toe thrice to represent equality in the marriage. This was followed by 'Brahma Mudi.'

********************************************
Dandalu: The bride and groom exchange garlands which signify the bride and groom accepting each other as partners.

Brahma Mudi indicates that both the bride and groom should maintain good relations with either of the families.

*******************************************

Then came to play the most interesting part. 'The Ring game'. This ritual is supposed to signify upper hand in the marriage. As soon as the rings were dropped into the vessel, I fumbled around blindly, searching for the ring. I found Raagavi's hand instead. I held her little finger with my little finger. She gasped lightly, surprise coloring her face. She looked cute. After more fumbling, I managed to gain the upperhand by finding the gold ring while Raagavi found the silver ring.

*****************************************
The ring game: 2 rings are dropped (one gold and one silver) inside the water pot. The bride and groom put their right arm into it to see who picks the gold ring first. Whoever finds the gold is the winner and said to have the upper hand in the marriage.
*******************************************

We were taken out of the Mandapam by the priest to spot the Arundhati and Vasistha star in the sky. Since it was morning and no stars were visible (duh) we just did the ritual for namesake and pointed towards the direction the stars are usually located.

********************************************
Arundhati and Vasistha nakshatram: The groom points out the stars to his bride. Arundhati and Vasistha represent an ideal couple hence they are shown the couple as an example
*******************************************

This was followed by 'Appagintalu,' the act by which Raagavi's father handed her over to me and my family (rather our family, as her family is mine and my family is hers now.) Tears were brimming in Bakthavachalam uncle's eyes. Veena aunty (Raagavi's mom) was crying, overwhelmed with emotion. Lakshman was holding on his sister's hand eyes filled with tears which refused to flow.

My heart broke at the sight of Raagavi crying silently. Rather than consoling her, I let her cry, so that she will get her emotions out. I tried my best to be understanding of her tears. I understood that it will be quite painful to leave her family behind and start a new life with a different family.

After 'Appagintalu' we departed from the Mandapam and headed to my parents' home on a car well decorated with flowers. The whole ride back, Raagavi was staring out the window, looking pensive.

Raagavi pov

After the sacred thread had rised my neck and vermillion had filled my forehead, I had to perform a lot of other rituals. 'Talambralu' had begun. Rudransh poured the rice over me. I followed him. After 3 turns, we were supposed to pour more to win. I had no intention of winning.

While it was Rudransh's turn to pour the 'talambralu', my friends pulled me. Shivika, had taken this as a challenge to not let him pour anymore. We exchange the garlands.
I was made to wear the toe ring. Rudransh had put the black beads around my neck.

'Saptapadi' was performed. 'Brahma mudi' a set of betel nut, dried dates, turmeric twig, betel leaf, and some currency coins were tied to the loose ends of my saree and to the Rundransh Kanduva (Shawl). Then these 2 knots were tied together.

Then came the ring game, two rings(one gold and one silver) were dropped inside the pot, we were asked to find the rings. While searching for the rings Rudransh had caught ahold of my little finger with the help of his little finger. I was shocked and left a small gasp. He had found the gold ring while I had found the silver.
He showed me the 'Arundhati and Vasistha' stars.
It was time for my parents to give me away to Rundransh's family. Amma, Appa and Anna were crying. I had let all the emotions flow down. Rundransh waited patiently for me. I had to leave to Rundransh's parents house.

Million things were running in my head. I was now a married woman. Tied down to a man I barely knew anything about. To a man who I didn't feel any love for.

I could only make up my mind to try and adjust to my new roles as best as I can, and try not to hurt or disappoint anyone in the way. Especially Rudransh. He did not ask to be in this situation, whether he knows of it or not.

********************************************
Note from author:

Hello readers,
How do you like the story? Let me know how you feel about this chapter.
Please bear with any grammar mistakes you find in the story.
Hope you all like the story.

Keep reading.

Do vote, comment and share.

Love,
R❤️

Love,R❤️