| III- Hard and Pretty Things |

The sunlight helps distract me from the burning embarrassment that I won't allow myself to feel, Jessica cackling next to me as we walk to work together. "I can't believe he heard you! We were all the way across the diner, it's almost unbelievable." She snickers shoving me lightly when we cross the walkway into the back concrete towards the restaurant.

"It was horrid! And he has the boldness to antagonize me about it. You know I can't back down from a challenge."

She shrugs her shoulders pulling out her key to the back door and we both shuffle into the dim back room, "Look, you already had plans to fuck him, might as well beef up and be the best bitch he's ever been with!"

"You encourage me to do dangerous things."

"Just remember to pull out."

I cough on my water bottle, her laughing just as Gus walks in to start his shift. He works open to close every day, doesn't have much outside the restaurant going for him, "Hewo ladies! How's ya's doing?"

Jessica smiles at him and gives a wave from the apron drawer, "Doing fine Gus, just talking about Vee's latest conquest."

"Conquest?" He gives me the side eye; I attempt to save myself.

"You, Jessica Flounder, cannot be speaking like that in front of the man determined to marry me." I scold. She visibly rolls her eyes, Gus blowing a raspberry before grabbing all the utensils he needs for the day. Jessica finishes her server set up and I start prepping the tables for the new customers. We both hum to the annoying music the owner bast through our speakers, neither needing constant talking during our shift.

As customers start to roll in, both her and I dash through the lunch rush. Apparently, luck is on my side today, and people have deep pockets. Some people that we have never seen before, saliva inducing, come in with small groups, all men, and request me as their server. We found ourselves ice cream bloated well into the morning until we started rushing between the chairs for the morning rush. All these businesses like to have their earlier lunches with their people before they work them to the bone in the corporate office, and it must be one of those days. I have never made as much money as I have today, and Jessica starts to get frustrated with me at her old people tips that barely cover a soda.

"What Facebook post did you share for this? Huh? Huh?" She threatens me with a dirty knife. I snicker at her face. The knife is tossed through the window into the dirty bucket, a young bus boy grabbing it just as it reaches it's capacity.

"Look you can have the next table that comes in. It is a little unfair how many mouth drooling men have sat at my tables today." I mumble and toss some menus at her so she can grab the next trio of men that sit at one of my smaller round ones.

"Thank you." She almost floats across the room to the men, her eyes roaming over them. I watch the man lift his nose taking a deep breath, his eyes turning a bright gold from the deep brown. What in the- Hadn't Ares' eyes done the same thing? Am I losing my mind?

Jessica doesn't notice, just rambling through her recommendations. I shift my hips through the chairs to get closer trying to figure this man out who visibly moves in his chair to get closer to her. I see Jessica lean down, her nice chest on display for the men. It's one of her favorite ways to make tips. Not that they get anything but a good idea. The man that I am watching raises the side of his lip, a rumble seeming to leave him. Is he growling at her?

She leaves the table smiling ear to ear to grab me and drag me into the kitchen, "Did you see that man on the left? That was one of the most attractive men I have ever seen! My heart did this thing, my body doing another..." Seems possessive.