| V - The Repeat Offender |

Everything? Now that's a lot to lay on the table. I open my mouth like a fish and close it again trying to figure out the best way to approach this, "No thank you."

That wasn't the way to do it. And now I look like an idiot trying to recoup from such an announcement. My heart sinks at his face that drops into a frown. Even the server walking up does a one-eighty at the sight choosing to take his leave than deal with Ares. Underneath the table I weave my fingers through each other. My pinkies get caught, an audible snap breaking through the silent section. I'm known to pop my fingers, but now isn't the time.

"No?" He mumbles back, and I try to save myself by turning it back on him. His brows settle into a deep crease, another frown coming over him at my obvious hesitation. Speaking about myself is never how I want to lead out a date, especially when my past is anything but cute and fuzzy, nor do I want to bring up past relationship drama that could lead to an ice cube between the heat developing between us.

"How about you? I would like to learn why the Ares Gray asked me out to dinner when he could have much more suitable women in his tax bracket. Or at least someone that isn't scraping by."

The brindle beauty takes a moment to laugh, a small smile gracing his face, "My tax bracket? Such a way with words darling, my tax bracket has nothing to do with my choice in women. But if I must be frank, I don't much care for other women. I'm a picky man, Ms. Veronica. You've caught my attention and that is that."

"Not much to it? I am a random-"

"Madam, sir, I have your meals." The waiter breaks my sentence setting our large platters in front of us. I try to keep to myself and not judge the way he distributes the food, server to server of course. While anyone can work how they need to, "Anything else I can get you?"

Ares looks at me first to which I shake my head, "No, that will be all."

I take another sip of wine evading his gaze that stares into my soul. I keep to myself pushing the pasta around, while it smells nice, I don't know how to eat in a place like this. While James was rich and controlled my ever-living breath, he never took me out for fancy dinners. I wasn't trained enough to sit across from him, even with the etiquette classes he signed me up for. My thoughts travel to the balls we'd attend, my eyes only for him while he pranced around with other ladies. I was forced to starve until we left, James never trusting me to keep from embarrassing him.

"Is your food not to your liking? I can have it sent back and something else prepared."

I set the fork down, "Oh no, it's great. Just hyping myself up." Because you're attractive and my past is bleeding into my current actions. He hums again, eyes turning gold once more. I watch his iris shift back in color. Eyes shouldn't be able to do that. I shouldn't be able to watch his eye color change so drastically, him and that guy at the restaurant today. But it seems it shouldn't be something I bring up. Maybe, just maybe he has some wild medical disorder that leads to the crazy flow of gold. Maybe.

"For what I'm worthy of saying, you're the best woman here. I would expect your chin higher, shoulders back. You're too independent and strong to be hyping anything about yourself. If anything, the women staring at you from across the way would beg to stand beside you and compliment."

"You've known me for maybe a total of two hours." A little overwhelming to come from him. It's a hazard for him to play with my heart strings in such a way. It reminds me of the countless compliments I received from my ex before flipping the switch. They always flip. The man that I thought to be almost too good to be true is showing such similar beginnings that my heart begins to race, but not in a good way.

"And people have fallen in love at first sight, it's not uncommon." He remarks cutting into his meal.

"That isn't real love, real love takes time and commitment. Hard work, sadness, and maybe even letting them go so they can grow. " I scrunch my brows attempting to seem steady in my response. The napkin that had bene laying over my lap is now toss over the table. I've lost my appetite.

"And I plan to give you everything your heart desires, and if I do such, I wouldn't have to let you go. A man must work every day to earn their woman. A woman deserves a crown, to be treated as though she's the only thing walking the earth. Do you not agree?"

Too much, too fast. Another fucking James that wants to control a woman. Trap me, keep me, make me prize over his arm while I'll dangle in absolute desperation for happiness, "This isn't going to work, I'm leaving."

I stand to walk away and feel his hand wrap around my wrist, I turn to him keeping my calm. The sparks cause a stutter, but not long enough that I back down. A man that has the balls to grab me is a dead one, "You will let me go, and I'm going to walk through those doors. I can't have another relationship like this." No one will control me again. Ares looks more than confused at my profession. His eyes trail over my form attempting to pick together the answer to his silent questions.

"Veronica- I won't be able to leave you. You must understand... I know I come off strong, but in due time I can tell you everything. Let's at least finish our melas."

"I don't give a damn what you want from me, I only want peace for myself. Peace includes struggling until I hit the top, handouts aren't needed. Leave me alone with your freakishly overbearing emotions. Last time I took the bait from someone like you, I was gutted alive."

"Ma-Veronica. Please." His eyes beg. A sincere want from me to stay and listen. He acts as though I couldn't hear his slip up. Such a fucking man to forget a ladies name.

"Can't even remember my name? Get off me." I pull my hand from his, but I could tell he allowed me to. Some deep part of me knows that I wouldn't have been able to get away from him if he truly wanted me to stay nearby. He doesn't follow me like I expected him too and my heart unexpectedly aches from it. The restaurant lets me out easily with no one breaking my path. When I finally get outside, I am calling a cab almost to tears.

So pitiful. His proclamation of giving me the world, his care for me, the commit and time, even the discussion of love at first sight... all those flags aligned with my ex and how he ruled my life with sweet nothings that I played into. Do I just attract these men? Do I wear a sign across my back that says, 'please take my will to live and feed me chocolate?' How can I earn a genuine love that builds from the ground up? That works through problems and treats me as equals.

The cab pulls up and I grab the handle, I feel a prickle at the back of my neck, Ares coming up from behind, "Veronica!" That's when I feel the worst. A sick pain rips through me at the rejection I'm gifting him. Have I been too harsh? No. It's better to be safe than sorry. A heart like this deserves care and protection. I've earned it to say no, to walk away, to want something different for myself. I turn to look at him as I sit down into the car, his eyes are bright, glowing in the night. Slamming the door shut I ask the man to step on it, the man left in the night as we drive off. I let my curiosity peak craning my head to watch the male run his hands through his hair yanking at the roots, chest heaving up and down. His eyes glow gold staring at the car as we get farther into the distance, almost like a wolf.