| XXV - Lunar Ball |

Jessica glares at my dress, her eyes tracing over the seams of the black number. It's a deep front cut, my back on display. A floor length twinkling gown that barely sticks to my shoulders. My hair is pinned up, light curls falling to the side of the face. My makeup is styled smokey, a bright red lip to pair. I pull the heels I purchased over my feel settling myself on my toes before looking back to Jess, "Something the matter?"

"How'd you find such a scandalous dress with so little time?"

"The human help. Ares sent them out yesterday to pick up a plethora of dresses, I just chose from those." My mark burns on my neck today. Ares tells me it's because of the new magic coursing through my blood, however something feels more off about it than I anticipated.

"Such a gentleman." She spits at me grabbing her purse from the side table. Something had to have crawled up her ass and died before she walked in here. She seems off, completely one-eighty from the normal personality that I'd grown so used to.

"Something wrong?"

"Only the fact that you get everything at your fingertips while the rest of us have to bend to your will." She groans under her breath. I raise a brow, she just rolls her eyes in return, "Never mind let's get down there. The car's waiting."

"What crawled up your back end and shat?"

"The fakest Luna in the house." She retorts leaving the room quickly. I grab my purse as well following. She's walking proudly on her heels, my own legs trying to catch her speed. She barely looks back when she struts through the door, her mate on her side. Ares greets me with a kiss on the cheek and large smile. I return it. Jessica is a later problem, her attitude most likely due to a bad meal or something.

"Ready, love?"

"I am. Let's get this over with." I mumble letting his hand wrap around mine and guide me to the waiting car. Jess and her mate take a separate car, their words traveling silently between them. I lean into Ares before he opens the door taking in his scent. My nose has been the first thing to start "wolfing up" and everything is bothering me. Ares contributes most of the "bother" to the pregnancy, especially when I ran from the room to puke at the smell of coffee. We ride in silence to the ball. Everyone in the pack plans to be there, this being one of their most cherished moments. A new fucking Luna.

Tonight, he plans to announce me as his Luna, officially claiming me to the pack. Just yesterday, the child's wolf caused me to kill. No one batted an eye. My body was overtaken by an unborn child, then used to kill someone we thought was threatening me. We pull into the driveway, the large building taking me by surprise. It's a brick building styled as one would style a castle, however it's a brighter, more welcoming color, "Excited to dance?"

"Excited to eat dinner. I'm starving." I'm ready to get home. Right now. I don't want to be here.

"Then let's get you inside my beautiful mate." He climbs out of the car tossing the keys to a valet. Ares grabs my handle letting me out from the passenger side. I keep steady on my heels, our steps powerful and concise. Ares keeps my back straight as we walk. The wolves are watching, and I can't make a mistake.

The deltas greet me, the beta watching from a distance. Omegas litter the dance floor shaking their hips, most have a glass of some kind in hand. I grab a wine glass off a tray for show, Ares doing the same with a whiskey. The pack moves for us to pass through, I keep my chin up. Shoulders back. The scent of Ares covers the room. The Alpha is showing off, letting everyone know who's in control. The King to be.

We guide ourselves to two chairs seated the front. I'm encouraged to sit in one first, Ares taking the other. The pack lines up to give us grace and say peace. However, one person is noted. A glare covering her face when she stands in line. Her aura scents deception and my heart hurts to see it.