| XXXII - Her Fight |

Ares Point of View

I've knocked through all of them. None of them survived the pain of my heart, the wrenching that guides me forward. I can only provide my mate rank, protection from the enemies through forced support of my people. I've given into the darkness singing so violently to me I should fall to my knees in forgiveness from the heavens. These mongrels challenged, and now I've taken their heads in revenge for their weakness. Weakness in their knowledge, pure ignorance that led them to believe they could've won against me.

My mate still lays asleep. Her heart is steady, breathing even. Tyson works to keep me updated as needed while I run through the competition. The pack screams in happiness at the blood soaking through the dirt. I would be just as happy, but I've grown fearful. The things I care about can be taken so easily from those I least expect. I promised to protect her, promised to provide the life she deserves, and here I am. Simply winning against pre-destined deaths. I'm doing nothing for her. Nothing that when she wakes up will console her other than guarantee of a home.

"Alpha. You have one more fight, and look..." He points over the people my eyes landing on my beautiful mate standing at the back of the group with a blanket wrapped around her arms. The medical blanket flows beautifully in the wind, her bun loose atop of her head. I'm enchanted by her strength when she walks through the pack. Every single person moves for her, no one denies her power. Even I'm held at her will when she struts through the body littered ring ignoring the death just to stand above me while I kneel on the ground. Tyson has left, the pack watches in anticipation as their Luna drops to her knees wrapping her cold arounds around my neck.

I wrap my arms around her, pulling her in for the warmth she desires. I can't give her much, but I can give her a hug. A simple hug. Something that when the world falls apart around us, I can keep her protected from the evil. Her head tucks against my neck, and for a moment I let myself relax. While she sits in the middle of hell itself, she uses me as her shield, "I'm sorry I wasn't here for you, my Alpha." She whispers along my jaw, "I wish you the best in your final fight. I love you. No matter what."

She's claimed me in front of the pack, and they know it. I've been marked by her, much differently when she took my neck, "I love you. I'm sorry that you feel the need to be here instead of healing." I whisper in return. She holds on tighter instead of pushing herself away. I'm confused, but thankful for the amazing woman I must call my own. However, I now worry. She's constantly putting others before herself, and one day she won't be able to handle all the world on her shoulders, "You should be resting."

"I need to support you, Ares. It's better than staring at a ceiling wondering what I'd done wrong." She whispers in return. She releases herself, and I fix her blanket for her. Veronica walks to the side of the ring, standing with her shoulders back. The only indication of her fear, or sadness, is the slight shake in her hands that grip the blanket. I can't detect any pain between the bond. The child's wolf must have done one last favor before leaving her, giving her health. The women of the pack move to stand behind her. All take a protective stance, Tusk and Gerald leading the pack, but I'm drug away from the heartwarming scene when Tyson grips my shoulder.

"Alpha, we need to continue."

"Yes. Let's get this over with."

Little did I expect my mother struts from the waiting area. Her body is clothed in traditional fighting garments for human women. As she's wolf, I'm confused, even more so that she's standing across from me and not a fighter, "I've come to challenge." She yells across the ring. My mother looks rejuvenated, her body flush with color. Weight sits on her bones now, and with her spin straight, jaw set, she's the fearless woman I grew up under. The leader I always dreamed to be, and now she stands before me.