| XIX - The Taking |

"Alpha Sapphire!" Both the servants fall in a curtsey to the alpha of the southern region. I take a couple steps back attempting to get out of the space, force a separation between the two of us. He doesn't let me get away that easy. His hand goes back to flash the side of his hip the girls can see, a gun hooked to his belt. He'll kill them. He knows of the wolf world, he... fuck.

"No need for such formalities. We are to be alliances soon enough?" The tyrant cackles throwing his head back, "I just came to talk to an old friend and take her to lunch. Alpha's honor of course." I swallow back my fear. I don't hear Ares anywhere. My head feels empty. The flower is sending a headache through me, the scent too much to bear. It doesn't help the girls behind me are screaming in joy that their Luna has friends and will no longer be alone. Are these humans not aware of how protective the wolves are? In what world would Ares be okay with another male taking me out?

"Have you spoken with Ares? Is he aware?" One of the ladies calls out, I still stand petrified at the doorway attempting to think through any formulation of a good idea. Thank you, whoever, for asking the right questions while I can't find the energy to move. I need my mate; I need my Alpha and yet the more I scream in my head the less sure I am that he can hear me.

"Of course. Now, I must have her back before two. My mate wants me home for a pack event this evening." He outstretches his arm. The gun is still on full display. His eyes hold a threat that only I know. It's from our time together, the fake smile that holds the promise of many beatings to come. If only Jessica could walk in, or some other servant with a better back bone. I turn to look around trying to put together a better plan than the one that's forming. While I don't like Meredith, she doesn't deserve a bullet.

"Well go on Luna! It would be rude to deny a new pack alliance, see you later. It'll be nice to have you out of our hair while we prepare for the Lunar Ball." I cut my eyes at the ladies, both laughing at me in return. Great his fucking charms sold them. They once did that to me too. I take his arm praying that the weird mental bond I have with the Alpha will be enough to get me out of this situation. Like sending an SOS signal so loud he gets a splitting headache.

My dominant mate isn't anywhere to be found as we walk to the car, "I found a wonderful pizza place for us. I assumed you would enjoy it. Here let me get that for you." He grabs the car door for me letting me settle into the seat before closing it. I go for the handle, but the door stays tightly locked. Fuck. Is now the time to scream? Or would this wolf rip me to shreds? A gold flashes around his eyes. I hadn't noticed it before, but now his eyes seem much bluer than they had been. Had he been wearing contacts? "Now, let's head there, shall we?" James drops into the driver seat looking over me with a hungry gaze. Many of his past aggressions make sense, the way he would just know if I did something. Smell me, be an animal about certain anger issues. It's overwhelming the truths that slam into my chest, ripping me apart from within. All those parties, all the secrets, his weird cult like behavior with his friends... the whole time an Alpha.

"You aren't from the south, are you?" I calmly question, he laughs.

"I am Alpha James, my pack is a west pack, but those humans had never seen a Southern Alpha. It was easy to convince otherwise when I dropped his name. Humans are so fucking stupid." He continues, running a hand through his hair for just a moment, "It's good to see you babe. Been looking for a while, you know?"

"What about your mate?" The car rumbles to a start, us pulling out from the driveway. He's at ease. I continue to scream in my head for Ares. If there's anything I know for a fact, it's that Ares would kill this man with a single punch. James has never been a fighter always focusing energy on his minions and sending off people to do his dirty work, "Ares knows about us. Why wouldn't he know of your status?"