| XVII - Alpha Burrito |

"I doubt I'd be able to stop anything. You're obviously stronger than me, faster, and most definitely smarter. The most I have is the weird sexual attraction to use against you. I wouldn't call that powerful in the least." I shuffle through my emotions towards him trying to figure out what's mine and what's the internal nag. I know that some part of me does like Ares. He seems like a good man. The necklace that I still wear around my neck is enough reminder that he cares. The way he speaks about loving me, the determination he has to win me over. That has some valor. I know that if we'd met as normal humans and hit it off, I'd beg him to marry me.

"You don't know how much power you really hold. As my woman you have a strength uncanny to any men in my pack. Your touch can stop me, your voice summons me. Not to mention if you were to ask for anything the wolf in me would bend to any will to do it for you. Except leave you. That I'd have to kill myself." He pushes around his food laughing at my scrunched nose. I've attempted to push back the laughter, but finally let it out bring a positive emotion to the table. I'm tired of being defiant for a few moments. I'd like to enjoy some of the small happiness he's offering.

"Daniel and Adrian were talking about how all the high ranks have human mates, is that true?" I lean over the table trying to get closer. His masculine musk sings to me, and I want so much more.

"It is. As the high ranks we need something to balance the power. There are trials that men can perform to fight for an alpha position, but everyone understands that if you have a female wolf mate that your strength isn't enough. It's concerning when a delta has a human, it could mean treachery later down the line." The Alpha looks up from his food, a burning gaze taking over his eyes, "Any more questions?"

"Many. How much control does your wolf have over you? What did you mean earlier when you said his influence?" This peaks so much interest. I can't help it. It's like all the romances I've read slamming together into my own epic story. I'm entranced and beyond mind blown.

"While I'm human and have control over the wolf, his animal tendencies have sway over important decisions. When I first saw you, I admit my initial thought was to steal you away, however you standing up to Tyson intrigued my wolf. It brought out this wolf pride that you can see in my eyes, the gold. Anger is generally represented in black. In the contract, the caveat about you two running was more for us than you. Our wolves wanted you close and needed to know where you were always. It sent us both over the edge and led to the frustration you dealt with earlier."

"Could you have stopped the wolf?"

"In those moments," He sighs running a hand through his hair. I can feel the guilt dripping off him, "No. I'm sorry to admit it. I've only lost control once before, but he was running my body forcing me to claim you so we could find you if needed. The mark is a powerful tool for us. Allows us to communicate and track. Only a few things could interfere with that."

"That helps me. Thank you." I rattle off in thought. This mark helps me read him as well. I know he's telling the truth. The wolf had control and forced him to claim me. Ares himself had no intention to take me in such a violent way. My own emotions drop some trust towards him.

"Are you planning on telling me who were running from then?" James Volga. I think to myself. Ares stiffens, "James Volga? I suppose now would be the time to tell you that your thoughts are like a stream of constant communication to me. That's what I meant, and I should have clarified."

With that announcement horrid thoughts of him fill my brain, "I suppose I don't have to say it aloud then."

Ares grips the edge of the counter, fingers white. I try to ignore the cracking that breaks through the room, "He reminds me of someone. I can't pinpoint it."