| XXIV - An Alpha Marking |

He pulls me to the center of the group. His hands guide mine around his neck, then land his on my waist. The fire cracks behind us. I don't know the next thing, or even how to take the next step. Ares gives me a large smile. My heart skips a beat. The world around us falls apart, each piece dropping to a different dimension. It leaves the world just him and I. My hips move left and right, his guidance providing confidence. We shift together, and I finally give into temptation leaning into him. He holds me against his chest rubbing into my back. We start the simple shuffle allowing our body heats to meld with the summer fire. Pack members start to float back into the picture. Each of them are smiling, most are watching us hold each other. Tusk stops on the edge. Gerald is holding him close and pecks a kiss on his head, "My body, I don't know why but I'm so tired."

"Let's get you home, love." He sweeps me into his arms carrying me through the masses of people. Everyone parts for us, some bowing their heads as we pass. I hear the occasional coo at our cuteness, some snorting at the sight of me. I don't know where all my energy went, moments before I felt amazing and ready to take on the world. Ares seems to be thinking the same thing, his face in a hard line. I poke at his frown forcing it up into a smile. He laughs at my attempt helping me into the house and back up to our room. The moment I hit the bed, my eyes droop. I feel my soul curl up in the warmth. This is what I need. Ares bends over placing a kind kiss on my head, "I love you."

I groan waving him off me so I can sleep, "I love you, idiot. Come to bed."

"I will soon, I need to say goodnight to the pack."

"No, you need to cuddle me. They can wait." I grumble patting the side of the bed, "You'll leave me tomorrow, let me have some time till then."

"But I'll come back to you. Always." He throws off his clothes and crawls into the bed pulling me into his arms.

"One day you won't, Ares. Even you aren't immune to death."

"For you, love, I'll fight death himself."

~

One Day till the Lunar Ball

The lady working on my dress drags me to the circle podium surrounded by dresses, "Oh honey you are beyond bloated I am going to release the seams a bit."

"Thanks for the honesty I suppose."

"You look dead inside." She grunts picking at the seams. She's been a bitch the entire time I've worked with her, and the pregnancy brain is working hard to find a reason not to kill her. At least slap her around a bit. I'm just as tired as she is, and it took a craving meal and Ares's promise of head later to get me here.

I raise my brows at her after she pulls the fabric over me, "Are you always this blunt?"

"Only to Luna's who don't have any idea how to run a pack however everyone worships her. The deltas haven't stopped talking about you while I've tailored their suits."

The deep blue fabric looks nice against my pale skin. I've lost weight since Ares has found me from all the situations, all the things, "I would agree with you, but I'm not as oblivious as I was."

"Pssht. You're worthless, Veronica. You have no bloodline, no strengths, or assets. You bring nothing of worth to this pack. A sick half breed for our pack to follow is the only positive of your body. Most Alpha's have human mates, that's understood, however they also come with power. Your family name holds nothing. Not only are you weak as a human, but you provide nothing but mooching for your husband. A fucking leech if I have the boldness to say so." A snarl comes from deep in my chest, Kill her. She pricks me with a needle, I toss my hip away from her. She stabs another into me. Rip her to shreds, "You really are weak. Look at you, can't handle a prick."