| XVI - Wolf Apologies |

My neck burns, an unimaginable fire lighting at the base of my throat. Before I can think too much about it, I feel the energy filled touch of Ares as he strokes my head. My nerves come back slowly, their ripple beginning as my body takes note of him pressed against my back spooning me, "Ares?" I whisper, my throat hoarse.

"Hello, darling. How are you feeling?" His voice is soft again, a reminder of how he was before he ripped my throat out.

"Please stop touching me." I groan trying to pull away, but he uses his strength to keep me against him.

"Not until the mark is set. If I let you go, your body will know you are rejecting it, sending us both into pain." He kisses the top of my head, my head fuzzes in pleasurable zings from his lips.

"What if I don't want it?" I try to pull away again, but he keeps me forced against him, "Ares, I am not wanting to be bonded to you. Please, just let me go."

"I can't let that happen, I'm sorry." His voice seems regretful, but deep down I know that some part of him does want this, he wants this claim over me. Defeat. The only thing coming from me these days. I groan into the soft pillow loving the plush surrounding my head, "I am the Alpha of Wolfsbane, a large pack in the northeast United States. To provide for my pack financially, and for myself, I am the CEO of the largest National Bank that has become international. You are my mate and Luna, the one woman I desire to love me in return. Josh is my Beta, Tyson my Gamma, and Daniel one of my Delta's."

"I feel very played right now, mislead, hurt, used. And worst of all, if you could stop your macho alpha shit for five seconds, feel controlled. Let me go." He gets off the bed as well the only clothing being his low riding pajama pants. I try not to stare, but the inner sex goddess is wanting another round, and it doesn't help I have this new attachment to him that I didn't have before.

"I am only doing this to protect you."

"Every werewolf book I ever read tells me very differently. This is bullshit. This wasn't supposed to be real. I read them for fun!" I scream out stomping around the room. The tether is very much there like a golden rope that hangs in the air between us.

"Where do you think they got the story? A human mate despised her male and ran, writing the first werewolf story. Now it's like an exploding balloon of teenage hormones." He closes his eyes taking many breaths before continuing the conversation, "Like I said before, you can hate me as long as you need too, I know what I have done. It is expected that the Alpha claims his mate the moment they touch, since you are human you had leeway, but it was hard to keep it whenever you ran at every fucking turn."

"Were you planning on taking me when we first met?"

He drops his head into his palms before looking back up at me, "Yes, I would have taken you at the diner, but there were too many people, then my next plan was our date, but you ran. Too many humans so I was unable to chase you."

"Fuck." I push my fingers into my temples rubbing circles. This bite is giving me thoughts that I shouldn't be having, and I have to bite my lip to keep myself from acting on them, "Then why agree to the contract in the first place? You knew what you were doing... you gave up false fucking hope."

"The average time it takes for a human to accept their mate is one month, I hoped by offering a compromise we could beat the average. I need you next to me, baby. I can't handle you being across the city where I can't protect you."

"But it's my life, my decisions. I should have a choice." I slap the back of one hand against the palm of the other, the smack resonating through the bedroom. I just want a choice! I take a step closer to him, he throws his legs off the bed. The tether that I feel between us starts to burn, a good burn that throws my mind off. My feet move closer, my hips between his knees looking down at him, "I know who I am, what I have been through, and part of me knows that I am going be destroyed being with you."