Chapter 3: Protecting the Weak

(This Chapter is like 1/3 of History about Tortus)

Two weeks of intense training was rough, but worth it. Ryoko closed his book and he slowly took out his Status Plate.
______________________________________

Name: Ryoko Otonashi
Age: 17 years old
Gender: Male
Lvl: 5
Class: Swordsman
Strength: 80
Vitality: 60
Resistance: 75
Agility: 65
Magic: 45
Magic Resistance: 50

Skills:
-Swordsmanship
-Enhanced Craftsmanship
-Language Comprehension
-Lightning Aptitude
______________________________________

Ryoko's stats might be impressive but here's a comparison to Kouki's stats.
______________________________________

Name: Amanogawa Kouki
Age: 17 years old
Gender: Male
Lvl: 10
Class: Hero
Strength: 200
Vitality: 200
Resistance: 200
Agility: 200
Magic: 200
Magic Resistance: 200
______________________________________

His growth rate was three times faster than Ryoko. Ryoko typically honed his swordsmanship for 2 days before studying the concept of magic in this world.

The process of utilizing magic in Tortus was by channeling magic power from one's body into a magic circle by means of an incantation, which would then activate the magic spells. There was no way to directly activate the spells with magic power, one must construct the corresponding magic circles to cast the respective spells.

Also, the magic power that was channeled into the magic circle would increase in proportion to the incantation time. The scale of the magic circle would magnify in accordance to the complexity of the spell, which will inevitably lead the magic circle itself to become larger.

For example, the fireball attack which was a signature magic spell in RPG would require a 20 cm wide magic circle. Basic techniques such as attribute, power, range, scope and magic absorption were required. Other things such as inductivity and sustained duration were also required for the spells, which would end up increasing the scale of the magic circle.

However, there are exceptions to these concepts. That is one's aptitude. Basically aptitude means that some people with unique body constitution could leave out some formulas when using magic spells. For example, a person with the fire-type aptitude will not require to write the attribute section of the magic formula. Instead, one can rely on imagination to make-up for this omission. Instead of writing the attribute section, one can just imagine the fire while chanting the incantation, which will then bring out the fire attribute in the spell.

Most people will have some sort of aptitude, and the aforementioned 20 cm diameter of magic circle is an estimate for an average person. Other than the five basic techniques, he still had to add in the speed, the trajectory, diffusion rate, control rate, and such meticulous techniques. In Ryoko's case he had a lightning aptitude. He mainly utilized his lightning aptitudes in conjunction with his sword.

There are two ways to engrave the magic circle; by utilizing a special kind of paper which cab only be used one time and metal engraving which can be used multiple times. The former has a wide versatility, but can only be used once and it's strength will also decrease. The latter cab be used several times and still retain it's strength, but it's magic spell cannot be changed and it is bulky. The priest and Ishtar wields staffs which contains the metal engravings.

Ryoko was given a sword which was engraved with a lightning magic circle. During practice, he would use his lightning aptitude to strike down practice dummies from a long range.