(Vol 2) Chapter 5: Cheaters Rather than Heroes

"Sorry, wrong room."

As he said that, Ryoko tried to quitely leave the scene. Panicked, the blond hair girl tried to stop him. Her voice that had not been used for years got blurred into a mutter, though her desperation was conveyed.

"W-Wait! Please! Save me…"

"Not gonna happen."

Ryoko said as he was about to close the door.

"W-Why? I will do anything."

The girl was desperate. Even though only the head was seen, her face was enough to transmit her feelings. Ryoko responded in an emotionless manner.

"You do realized we're in the bottom of the abyss. Why would I release someone that has been sealed in a magic cube, guarded by two cyclops that would kill any intruders? You could be very dangerous and..."

He wasn't a normal person that would respond to the pleading voice of a captured girl and release her without hesitation. After surviving in the abyss for more than a few days anything was possible. What if the girl before him is a giant spider with the upper body of a young girl that could kill him? The original kinder Ryoko would have surely helped her, but the new Ryoko wouldn't.

Being so coldly refused, the desperate girl raised her voice as she was on the edge of tears.

"No! (Cough)... I'm not bad!... Wait! I..."

Ryoko kept closing the door unaltered. The door was soon to he completely closed, Ryoko started to grind his teeth. If he had only closed it faster, he would have heard...

"I was betrayed!"

The closing door that only had a small crack, stopped when the girl's cry reached it. Only a small amount of light got through the crack into the dark room. 10 seconds, then 20 seconds had pass. Finally, the door started to open again. Ryoko stood at the doorway with a distasteful face like he had been bitten by 100 bugs and chewed up one.

He didn't have any intention to help her. But there must have been a suitable reason to why she was sealed in here. He couldn't find any evidence to prove that she wasn't dangerous. Being deceived by this girl was a highly possibility. It was appropriate to forsake her.

"What am I doing?"

Ryoko sighed inwardly. His heart had shaken when said the word "betrayed". The last should have been behind him already. In this place, the only thing he wanted to do was "live", but it was extremely difficult. Grudges are nothing more than unnecessary distraction. If her words could affect him this much, there was probably a part of him that had not moved on. The fragments of Ryoko's past conscious probably still existed if he could still sympathize with the girl that had the same circumstances as him.

Ryoko let out a deep sigh as he walked up to the girl. He obviously didn't let his guard down.

"You said you were betrayed? I don't believe that is the reason why you were sealed. If what you said was true, why did the betrayer seal you in here?"

"..."

"..."

The girl was stunned when Ryoko came back. Through her abundant dirty blond hair, her red eyes stared at Ryoko. Ryoko was getting irritated by her lack of response. "Hey! Are you listening? If you're not going to talk. I'm leaving." As he said that he began to walk away. Surprised, she gathered herself and begun to explain the reason for her sealing.

"I'm an atavistic vampire… I was granted great power…because of it I worked hard for my country. But...one day…all my retainers…told me I was not needed anymore. Uncle…became my king…I was fine with that… However, I was dangerous because of my powers…they couldn't kill me…so they sealed me…in here."