Chapter Twenty

Akatsuki floated in peace while he was unconscious. He didn't feel his legs, arms or his beating heart, he didn't see nor did he hear. What he can sometimes hear, was a familiar voice that comforted him throughout this whole ordeal. The voice comforted him enough so that he felt assured that he will not be alone when he opens his eyes.

Bright light greeted his sensitive scarlet eyes. It made him squint in pain, he licked his lips that he initially thought would be chapped, but found it coated in a slippery substance that tasted a lot like strawberries.

Both of his feet felt cold, and so was his right hand. However, his left hand felt warmer than the rest of his limbs. He blearily opened his eyes again to scan his surroundings.

"Hey, you're awake."

Akatsuki turned his head and saw Gojo leaning against the wall casually. The man was not dressed in his usual uniform, he now wore a cotton dark blue sweater with light colored jeans. He had his blindfold swapped with thin rimmed sunglasses. Akatsuki sighed in relief at the sight of him. He sat up in his bed then leaned on his arm.

"How long was I out?" He asked, voice raspy from sleep.

Gojo walked over to sit beside him on the bed, Akatsuki felt his heart beat unusually from their closeness, thighs touching with Gojo's arms caging his left leg.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" He teased at first, a slight smile on his face before dropping it. "You were out for two days." He said.

Akatsuki's eyes widened before humming. "Predictable. With that amount of limbs I have to grow back." He casually said, which made Gojo's face scrunch in what seemed to be annoyance.

"Oh? 'predictable'? Really?" Gojo fired at him.

Akatsuki gazed at him, confused. Gojo rolled his eyes before leaning closer to him.

"You got me worried, you know? Who knew, maybe you were gonna sleep for, oh I don't know, a hundred years?" Gojo told him, looking away.

Akatsuki chuckled at this. He made a bold move to hold a hand to the side of Gojo's face. He turned it towards him so that they can make proper eye contact. He felt his heart beat rapidly against his chest when he caught a glimpse of Gojo's intense blue eyes.

"I don't think that I will sleep again, for that long I mean." He told Gojo.

Gojo raised an eyebrow at him. "Huh? Why's that?"

Akatsuki smiled at him. He held Gojo's hand with his other then gripped it tight. "I realized something back then, at the cave."

"What, when you were about to die?" Gojo playfully asked him.

Akatsuki chuckled then nodded. "I thought about what I've been living for. It's always been fighting then saving, and it felt more like a duty."

"Then as I was about to die, I thought that I didn't want to leave like that. I thought about how there can be so much more to life if I could just try." He continued

"I know how it's been such a short time between us, but I felt the beginnings of happiness with you, Satoru." He felt Gojo's hand grip the sheets underneath as he said this. "I find myself growing fond of you." He added.

"If I may, I really want to try at happiness more, especially with you. If you'll accept me." Akatsuki confessed, he felt his heart beat against his ribcage as he searched Gojo's face for any reaction.

Gojo released a shaky breath before chuckling. "Oh shit."

Gojo grasped at his face before he let himself fall into Akatsuki's arms. He buried his face in Akatsuki's neck, warm puffs of air hitting his skin. Akatsuki let his arms wrap around Gojo's warm body, their chests touching, with Akatsuki's cheeks resting on top of Gojo's head, pale white hair tickling his face.