Chapter Twenty-Nine

Gojo wasn't looking at him when he woke up. 

Akatsuki had expected this, of course, but it still didn't stop the pain from making its way up to his chest. It was one of the things that he had told himself before he basically led himself to a suicide mission, that he would either face the wrath of the curse, or the wrath of Gojo Satoru if he ever comes back from the dead, which at first he thought was impossible so he went in and fought the curse by himself anyway. 

Well, here he is now. 

The cold slab of metal that was supposed to hold dead bodies wasn't exactly comfortable, so he can feel his bare thighs sting from being in contact with the "bed". Shoko had wordlessly handed him a hospital gown to cover himself up, and since then, the quiet woman had been the only one that was filling the silent room with her inquiries.

Akatsuki can feel Satoru's tensed form from behind him, he was just sitting by the wall with a stern frown on his face before he turned to direct his attention at the doctor. 

"Are you feeling any different somehow? No homicidal thoughts?" Shoko asked him with a straight face.

Akatsuki blinked in confusion at the last bit. "No?" 

"Just to be clear, you don't remember anything while you were dead?" Shoko asked him again with an emphasis on her tone.

He nodded, "Indeed, I apologize for not being able to provide anything useful." He replied.

Shoko cringed a little bit. "You sound like a robot, guess that comes with being rebooted." 

"It's not that I need information on how you came back for other purposes, but I do need to know so that I can assess if it's going to change you somehow." Shoko gestured at him, "Hence why I asked for any homicidal thoughts." She finished. 

"Oh, you were being serious about that." Akatsuki muttered to himself.

Shoko blinked at him a couple before sighing exasperatedly. "Of course I was?" She replied, then directed her gaze to the man behind him. "I guess being with Gojo too much made you think that everything is a joke." 

Akatsuki offered her a light smile in courtesy, knowing that Satoru probably isn't in the mood for jokes considering how silent he's been the whole time. 

Shoko rolled her eyes at the pale haired man, "Cheer up Gojo, there's no funeral anymore." She walked away from him, going to her desk to grab a clean, new folder. 

"I'll go take this to the higher ups, don't kill each other in my office, will you?" Shoko said.

Gojo suddenly stood up from his seat. "Actually, how about we do that for you?" He motioned towards the file in her hands. 

"Just don't lose it." Shoko handed him the file without another word, then proceeded to leave her office.

Silence settled in the room as Shoko left, Akatsuki mustered up the courage to stand up from the metal surface and face the tall man. 

"Sato-" 

"The higher ups requested an audience earlier, probably to discuss that curse earlier, and well, you know, you dying." Satoru told him icily. 

"Since you're here up and kicking, there's no harm in giving them a little surprise." Gojo said with a finality to his words. "Go get changed, I have a spare uniform beside Shoko's locker." He told him before turning to leave the room, not allowing Akatsuki to get a word in. 

Akatsuki exhaled the breath he's been keeping in when he's been left alone. He grabbed at his face in frustration. He has to understand that Satoru needed his space, he has to respect whatever Satoru ends up saying to him, because at the end of the day, he was the one that carelessly broke his promise to stay.