Chapter Twenty-Eight

"It's a pretty gruesome sight, Gojo."

"..."

"It's a wonder how he still managed to open his domain considering how badly injured he was."

"..."

"Are you planning to even go inside to take a look or not?"

"Maybe not right now." 

Shoko frowned at the indifference Gojo was showing. The man had been quiet the whole time he had been down here with her at the infirmary, sometimes he'd reply with hums, ones that sounded so clearly veiled with lightness. Shoko would know when Gojo's desperately drowning his raw emotions with forced happiness, she would know out of all people. 

"You said it was the students who first arrived at the scene?" Gojo opted to ask instead.

"Yea, they were." Shoko answered him, still not managing to glance at his face for his back was turned to her.

Gojo suddenly clapped his hands together, sporting a bright grin when he turned to her. 

"Right! I'll go and visit them." Gojo exclaimed, not caring to hear Shoko's response as he walked down the hallway, not before snatching five pieces of lollipop that was by the nearby desk.

Gojo walked down the hallways of the school with tense shoulders, allowing himself to show a frown on his face now that he's alone. He doesn't  know whether he's swallowing down his anger, frustration, or even grief whenever he pushes down his saliva down his throat. He knows that if he doesn't push his feelings down to the very depths of his soul, he might commit things that will truly shock mankind. Tearing down this school to its very atoms could be an example, he wants to do worse than what that damned Curse could've done. 

But he really shouldn't. The school may deserve it, but the occupants in it definitely do not. He's better than that. Perhaps he should take it up to the higher ups instead. But he knows that there's no point to that. He'll just go with being two and a half hours late to meetings instead of just one. 

He stopped by the door with a deep inhale, then with a steady exhale, he plastered a very fake, laid back grin on his face. The kind that doesn't say I'm very ignorant to the atmosphere right now, instead it leans more to I know what happened was terrible, and yes I am so very fucking pissed but I came here first to give you lollipops. 

"Wow, look at this sad atmosphere in here right now." Gojo tried to tease. Hoping maybe to elicit a snarky reply from Maki, or maybe even a dramatic sigh from Megumi, but he received neither of those. 

All he got was an annoyed look from Megumi, but Maki glanced at him with a disbelieving look. He already anticipated  what she said to him.

"What are you so happy for?" Maki asked him. 

Except he really wasn't. But his students don't need to know that. He'll stay being that annoying bratty teacher if it means that he won't further worry his students. He will be fine, but he needs his students to be fine too. 

"I just came by to check in on you all. I also bring good news! There's no classes tomorrow for all of you!" He clapped his hands together for a dramatic effect, or perhaps a desperate attempt to lighten up the atmosphere. 

"Why? Is there going to be a funeral? For, oh I don't know. our dead teacher?" Maki said, Gojo can see her clench her jaw together. 

Gojo felt pain throb in his chest, but he pushed it away. He expected this from the ever head strong Maki, but he doesn't hold it against her, never. 

"We'll see. Anyway, here's a lollipop!" Gojo left the sweets to rest at the table.

He hastily left the stuffy room, the door closing behind him. The air stung his lungs as he inhaled, he guessed that it was from holding it for too long.