Chapter Twenty-Seven

The sky behaved unusually. Akatsuki cannot explain it, but he can feel electricity in the air above. It wasn't big enough to cloud the area past the school and its perimeter, but Akatsuki can tell that its signature is stronger over the lake. 

Akatsuki was on his way to Yaga-san to request if he could investigate the area further, only to find the man making his way towards the front gate where the ever so diligent Ijichi stood by the car. Luckily for him, he managed to catch Yaga-san just before he can leave the school gates.

"I have to meet with a sorcerer who can somehow seal the Cursed Energy by the lake." -was what the man told him when he asked for his hurried departure. 

"Can't I take that task, Yaga-san? I hardly have any missions these days." Akatsuki told the man. 

Yaga turned to him when he reached the car. Ijichi stood by the driver's door, no doubt listening in. The sorcerer stared at him for a few seconds before digging in his suitcase. He held out a piece of paper to Akatsuki, said paper had a red stamp on it.

"The sorcerer is one of Principal Gakuganji's men, I doubt he'd be as complacent with you as he is with me. He's a bit complicated." Yaga told him.

Akatsuki read the contents of the paper, scanning each word carefully. It reads the usual business formalities, but what caught his eyes were the part where it states a request for the relocation of one of Ryomen Sukuna's fingers. Presumably the very first one that he had gotten. 

"What's the reason for relocating one of the fingers?" Akatsuki asked with a furrowed brow. He can vaguely see Ijichi shifting uncomfortably from his peripheral vision. 

"It was stored in the Kyoto school at first. Now it's going to be permanently kept here, along with the other fingers." Yaga replied. "I'll be back here in about two hours. I'll have the finger with me by then." He added.

Akatsuki felt an ominous chill grace the winds that swept his cheeks as he watched the car leave the school grounds. He observed the sky getting darker, the darkened clouds began to cloak over the whole school. If Akatsuki looks far enough, he can see that the clouds are thick above the area in the lake. He made haste for the school buildings, spotting Maki and Fushiguro near the training grounds. 

"Where are the others?" He asked the two as he reached them.

Maki held her signature Naginata while Fushiguro was casually drinking from a water bottle. Maki stared at him in confusion, Akatsuki doesn't doubt that he's failing to hide the tension that he's currently feeling. 

"Inumaki and Panda are by the cafeteria. Why? Is there something wrong?" Maki asked him.

Akatsuki hesitated in revealing his worries. With the Principal gone, and the only staff being present is him, he didn't want the students to feel on edge. He also didn't want to cause any unwanted panic until he's sure with his suspicions. 

He decided to be vague instead. "Just some lingering worries from what we saw at the lake a couple of days ago." He replied.

Maki stared at him for a while before humming in thought. "Ah, well. I doubt that whatever's in there will just suddenly be fully formed in days." She supplied. Akatsuki doubted that. 

He didn't give any reply, he shifted his gaze towards the darkening skies. He really had a bad feeling about today. When he observed the thickening clouds begin to form into a whirlpool, he tensed up from the telltale signs of disaster. He turned towards the two.

"You and the others should gather." He instructed the students. Fushiguro left their side in quick strides while Maki stayed with him, staring at the cloud that continued to form itself from the distance.