Chapter 2

On the night of the festival, Miles, Sebastian, and Ellis are crammed in the loud and messy room upstairs at Sivan's Residence. They bicker and banter about the usual teenage stuff.

'Guys, I got 500 reils, what's your haul?' Miles shouts across the room.

Ellis grins and tosses a wad of bills on the bed. 'Take your puny haul and multiply it by four,' he boasts.

Miles gasps and drops his jaw in disbelief. 'What! How did you get that much?'

'While you were scrounging around like a homeless bum, I cleaned the dishes, did laundry, and watered the flowers,' Ellis explains, proudly.

Miles scoffs and rolls his eyes. 'Mum has given you that kind of money? Anyways, what do you have, huh, Sebastian?' he challenges.

Sebastian smirks and pulls out a thick envelope from his backpack. 'Multiply Ellis's haul by another three,' he reveals.

'No way!!' Miles and Ellis exclaim in unison.

'YES, now cut the BS and go get your bikes. Alice is waiting,' Sebastian orders as he puts on an old shirt.

'Don't you have enough of that crap already?' Ellis asks, pointing at the envelope.

'Nahhhh, I need more. Now let's go, the festival is about to start soon.' Sebastian walks to his bike and starts riding to Alice's house.

'Mom! I'm heading to Alice's house,' Miles calls out as he walks into the living room.

'Okay, bye sweetie! Your father will be home later,' Miles's mom replies as she irons one of Miles's expensive shirts.

Glancing at the clock, he sees it is already seven. 'Okay. I'll call if I'm crashing at someone else's place,' he says, kissing his mom goodbye.

He hops on his bike and follows Sebastian. On the way, he passes by a two-story brick house with a white picket fence. He sees a moving van parked outside, along with two adults. A slender girl with porcelain skin and fiery red curls catches his eye as he pedals away.

He gives her a curious look and wonders aloud: 'Is she Thai or Brit?'

Ellis hears him and replies: 'I'm pretty sure she's Russian.'

Miles smiles as he continues riding to Alice's house.

When they arrive there, they can see Alice still hoping her foster mom cleaning dishes.

Ellis pats his pockets and feels nothing. His face turns pale as he realizes what happened. 'Oh shit, where is my money!!! I'm pretty sure I put it in my pocket.'

'Wait here.' He rushes back to his bike and rides back to his house.

'Wait here, Sebastian! I'll be right back,' Miles says to Sabastian.

He turns around and rides back to his house as well. He sees Ellis running out of the front door, followed by their big sister Adeline. She is furious and screaming at Ellis.

'ASSHOLE!!!' Adeline yells as Ellis rides off back to the boys.

'What did you do?' Miles asks her.

'He stole my money, that's what he did! He took 1000 riels from my purse!' Adeline fumes.

'What? Why would he do that?' Miles asks, shocked.

'Because he's a greedy little bastard, that's why! He wanted to buy more of those stupid fireworks!' Adeline says.

'Fireworks? What fireworks?' Miles asks, confused.

Adeline sighs and shows him a flyer. It has a picture of a rocket with a skull and crossbones on it. It says: 'The Ultimate Firework Experience. Only for the brave and the bold. Dare to try the Death Rocket. Available only at the festival. Limited stock. Get yours before they run out.'