Chapter 40

Liny walked home after the dinner meal that day, the scene with Sebastian replaying in her brain over and over again. She felt so sorry, knowing exactly the kind of pain Sebastian had gone through and what she was doing.

On that walk home, she started to rethink whether she should continue to finish the job or not. What if she just decided to run away to another country and leave the mission behind?

What if she just killed Master Sovan and that general instead, once and for all?

Now crying, Liny pulls herself into an alley and collapses to the floor. She could, in essence, start a war; if she kills the Thai general, the Thai government will never stop looking for her. If she captures Sabastian, she'll have to watch her new friend get tortured the way they tortured her, knowing it was her action in the first place that made them suffer.

If she didn't, that witch could potentially get out again, and there's no way she or Sebastian could fight it off alone. She didn't care if she lived or died, but she cared that they had her mother and her sweet brother, who just loved to cook and bake.

Her mother, who had no idea what was coming when she married an up-and-coming biologist student who was drowning in student debt.

Then the cold sensation returned, snapping Liny's entire body as if it had been frozen to 0 degrees Celsius, and her motivation and drive to kill that damn witch returned.

She has to radio the base. But as the cars passed, she was still a while from home. Liny reached down to her wrist, feeling for the transmitter bracelet in the dark. She felt all of her other bracelets were in their usual spot but gasped in shock when she realized the transmitter bracelet wasn't there. The last time she had it...was at V's house, the night she was supposed to take Sabastian. Her heart drops. Liny's mission will become much more difficult from this point forward.

Back at the dinner table, V nervously took a seat in front of the adults. Sabastian had been ushered out of the room once more, and she wasn't happy that Sabastian was being treated like some kind of child, but she knew why it was necessary.

"Capt... Captain, you speak Thai right?" Miles asks, and the Captain nods in response.

V sighed and slapped the bracelet down on the table. Sabastian made a small noise beside her; he obviously recognized it as Liny. "I have reason to believe that Liny is working with the Thai."

"What? Liny? Sabastian's googly eyes are always drawn to that new girl." Ellis remarks, laughing and rolling his eyes.

"Stop joking, guys," Michael says, and immediately the laughter stops.

"Yeah, cut the bullshit, Ellis. I'm serious here!" V says, and the room grows quiet again.

"It's not... That can't be right. " Sabastian muttered under his breath.

"Really Sabastian? Stop being in denial." Ellis says, standing up. "Why don't you tell everyone what happened a few hours ago, or about how the cold feeling started when she moved here, or maybe you want to tell them about the time that-."

Suddenly, static interrupted their bickering. It came directly from the bracelet. It was a black bracelet, about as thick as a watch, but on the underside, it had a smaller speaker and button.

Everyone paused to look down at it, and carefully, V pressed the button down. More static. And then a voice. The voice was yelling urgently, almost as if it was barking orders. "He said... he said code 111. It's a secondary emergency code... I think." The captain spoke quietly, realizing this was not going to be a fun Thanksgiving prank.

Everyone was stunned that their "friends" bracelet had just spoken. Margaret grabbed the bracelet, almost throwing it against the wall.

"THAT BITCH! I trusted her like one of my own!"