Chapter 37

"STOP! RIGHT HERE!" The car full of misfits stopped abruptly in the middle of a rice field just outside of town. The group got down and prepared the compasses.

The group's compass was slowly starting to malfunction, and as Margareth and Captain Jack led the pack, they could sense the tension growing.

The CIA had been told about Sabastian's feelings coming back, but they ignored it. They knew work was also going on in Thailand, but they refused to believe there was anything serious going on again in Lakewood. All of these kids, however, knew something was off once again in their town.

"Hey, V, how are you feeling back there?" Miles turns his head and asks quietly while Captain Jack takes one last check at his weapon, a shotgun, the same one he shot the Witch last time.

"Are we close yet?" Simon asked while keeping his eyes fixed on the dark road ahead.

"I don't know, I think it's getting closer, I just don't know which direction," Miles said.

"If Sebastian's calculations are correct, it's East of here," Adeline said, staring at a map. Simon grabbed the map from her and stopped in his tracks.

"Someone give me a marker. Now." Miles scurried in his backpack and found a pen among the 5 pounds of food in his bag. He began circling places around the town and measuring with his fingers.

"What the hell are you doing?" Ellis asks, scratching his head in confusion.

Simon gasped and laughed. "Look! It's gotten stronger! Every portal is approximately the same distance from each other on all sides of town! The newly opened one would have to be about 6 km ahead, right in the town's rainwater ditch!"

Captain Jack clapped his hands together and rolled his eyes. "Thank god we have a destination now."

"It's close. Real close." Miles said, pointing at the compass that was going crazy. Captain Jack and Margareth looked at each other. The feeling between these two is getting stronger day by day.

"Don't you kids move from here. Radio us every five minutes. Do not leave the car, and if you notice anything out of the ordinary, call us immediately." The group nodded and got in the car. A long night was ahead of them.

Captain Jack and Margareth walked for seemingly forever before finally finding other people. Tall guys in black suits, wearing earbuds, talking to each other, they are definitely CIA agents, but what are they doing here in the Thai secret base?

"What are they saying?" Margaret whispered. There's something about Target "K001" on the loose. I'm not sure."

Margareth is astounded; she had no idea Captain Jack spoke Thai. " You speak Thai, since when," She asks,

"I've been the best in my class since my military academy, so they sent me to Thailand to finish my military degree for four years." Captain Jack responds with a solemn tone of voice and his gaze fixed on the traitors.

They started to get closer as the guards turned their backs to talk to a man decorated in a military uniform.

"He said something about the portal expanding for them," Capt Jack murmured.

Margareth worked to try and make out the access code on the door as they went inside. "1227! The code is 1227!"

They moved in by the door and held out fake cards to scan. They had become prepared enough, with fake government-issued cards from a Captain Jack black market friend and a complete army uniform. The code and cards worked, and as they entered, Margareth almost screamed.

Standing only a hundred meters from her was the man who used to be her ally, Special Agent Malcolm. She felt her heart drop to her stomach as Captain Jack shushed her to be quiet and act like a man.