Chapter 8

A light turned on in the front yard of the house on Elm Street. Inside, Miles and Ellis were arguing with their mother at the dinner table. A steaming meal was in front of them, but Vibol wasn't eating.

"We should be out there right now. We should be helping, looking for him," Miles said.

"Miles, we've been over this a thousand times. The Captain said --"

"I don't give a damn what the Captain said, Mom. He's my best friend. He's missing. And we're sitting here doing nothing."

"Miles, that's enough. I said no."

"He's not even a real detective, Mom. He's just a cop. We have to do something. Sebastian could be in danger, right now!"

"And that's exactly why you and your brother have to stay here."

"Mom --"

"No more arguments, Miles. And you too, Ellis. Not a word."

"I didn't say anything. That's not fair," Ellis said, looking confused.

Miles looked away, angry. The family tried to eat in silence. But Adeline had other plans.

"So – me and Naty – we're gonna study for the math test at her house tonight. That's cool, right?"

"No. Not cool," her mother said.

"WHAT? WHY?"

"Why do you think? Do you need me to spell it out for you? Until we know Sebastian is safe, no one leaves this house."

"So we're under house arrest?" Adeline said.

"Don't be dramatic, Adeline," her mother said.

"This is such bullshit!"

"Hey! Watch your mouth," her father said.

"Naty lives five minutes away. It's not like I'm going to the forest or something. Just because Miles and Ellis' stupid friend got lost on his way home --"

"Hey! Not cool, sis," Ellis said.

"So this is Sebastian's fault now?" Miles said.

"You're just mad because you want to hang out with Michael but Mom won't let you --"

"Michael?" her father said.

"Who's Michael?" the whole family asked.

"Her new boyfriend," Ellis said.

"Fuck you, Ellis," Adeline said. She pushed her chair back and ran upstairs to her room.

Miles and Ellis laughed and high-fived each other.

"Adeline, come back here! Adeline!" her mother called.

But Adeline was already gone. She slammed her bedroom door behind her.

Mrs.Sivan wanted to go after her daughter, but she had to take care of Monika, who was crying because of the noise. She picked her up and rocked her in her arms.

"There, there, shhh --"

"See, Miles? This is what you do," his father said.

"What do I do? I'm the only one acting normal here. I'm the only one who cares about Sebastian."

"Hey! Me too, dude," Ellis said.

Their father took a bite of his chicken leg. Chewed.

"That's not fair, Miles. We all care about your friend," he said.

Miles looked at his dad. He couldn't stand his indifference, not tonight. He got up from the table and stormed off.

Monika cried louder and louder while Mr.Sivan kept eating his chicken.

"I hope you're enjoying your chicken, Sam."

She carried Monika out of the room.

"Hey? What did I do? Phea? Bebe?"

Miles ran to his room and slammed the door. He threw himself on his bed and grabbed his walkie-talkie. He turned it on and tuned it to the channel he and Sebastian used. He pressed the button and spoke.

"Sebastian, are you there? Sebastian, please answer me."

He waited for a response, but none came. He only heard static. He guessed Sebastian's walkie-talkie was either broken or out of range. Or maybe something worse had happened to him.

He felt a surge of anger and sadness. He couldn't believe that his best friend was gone. They had been inseparable since kindergarten. They had done everything together. They had shared their secrets, their dreams, their fears.

They had also shared their love for the Forbidden Forest.

Miles remembered the first time they had gone there. They were eight years old, and they had heard stories about the forest from the older kids. Stories about ghosts, monsters, and dead bodies. Stories that made them curious and scared.

They had decided to sneak out of their houses one night and explore the forest. They had taken their bikes and flashlights and headed to the edge of town. They had found a trail that led into the trees.

They had been terrified, but also thrilled. They had felt like adventurers, like heroes. They had seen strange shapes and shadows, and heard weird noises and whispers. They had imagined all kinds of horrors lurking in the dark.

But they had also found beauty and wonder. They had seen fireflies and stars, flowers and mushrooms, animals and birds. They had felt a connection with nature, with each other.

They had made a pact that night. They had sworn to always be friends, to always protect each other, to always come back to the forest.

They had kept that pact for years. They had gone to the forest many times, sometimes with Alice or other friends, sometimes just the two of them. They had discovered new places, new secrets, new mysteries.

They had also found trouble.

Miles remembered the last time they had gone there. It was two weeks ago, after school. They had met Alice at the bike rack and told her they wanted to go to the forest. She had agreed to go with them, as usual.

They had taken their usual route, through Independent Street and across the bridge. They had reached the entrance of the forest, where a sign warned them to keep out.

They had ignored the sign, as they always did. They had pushed their bikes into the forest, following the trail they knew by heart.

They had been having fun, joking and laughing, telling stories and riddles. They had felt free and happy, away from the troubles of school and home.

But to yesterday, at the moon festival. Miles remembered how Sebastian had suddenly complained of a headache. He had said he wanted to go home alone, that he didn't feel well. He had refused to let Alice go with him. He had said they should stay and have fun.

Miles remembered how he had tried to convince him to stay, to rest for a while, to drink some water. He had said he was worried about him, that he didn't want him to go alone.

But Sebastian had insisted. He had said he would be fine, that he would see them tomorrow. He had said he loved them, that they were his best friends.

He had smiled and waved goodbye. He had turned his bike around and headed back to the trail. He had disappeared into the trees.

That was the last time Miles had seen him.

Miles wondered what had happened to him. Where was he now? Was he alive or dead? Was he hurt or scared? Was he looking for them or waiting for them?

Miles wished he could talk to him. He wished he could hear his voice, his laugh, his jokes. He wished he could tell him he was sorry, that he should have gone with him, that he missed him.

He pressed the button on his walkie-talkie again.

"Sebastian, please answer me. Please."