Drunken Confessions

-Eddie's POV earlier in the night-

I didn't know what to believe in that moment. Ems wasn't the kind of person to do something like that, I KNEW that. But she had been away for a while. Maybe she had changed.

I helped Beck into my truck and took her back to the apartment.

"Thank you so much baby, I just don't know what had gotten into her!" Beck said beside me. I didn't look at her. I just kept my eyes on the road.

"What happened? Did you say anything to upset her?" I asked Beck.

She let out a big sigh and turned to the window. "Why are you trying to defend her?"

I didn't know what to say to that. I mean I didn't think Ems would do that, that's why I was defending her.

"She's the one that wrote that awful song about me" Beck whispered to herself, but I heard it loud and clear.

We pulled up to the apartment and I turned to her. "What do you mean? She didn't write a song about you" I said, genuinely not understanding what she was saying.

"Yes she did, Eddie. 'Don't call me Emmy or I'll fuck your boyfriend' you think that's just a coincidence?" She quickly got out of the truck and stormed inside, I followed closely behind her.

"She told you time and time again not to call her that, she doesn't like it, maybe someone else did it so she was making a point!" I yelled at her. I was tired of this. All we did was fight over Ems.

"Eddie seriously, I know it's about me. She was getting too close to you! I ask for one little favor and she goes off and starts a new life and writes a song about me!"

"Wait, what favor?"

She looked at me for a moment and bit her lip before turning around to walk away. "It's nothing."

I grabbed her arm and made her turn to me. "What fucking favor, Rebecca."

"I asked her to back off, okay! She was too close to you! So I told her to back the fuck off!"

I let go of her arm when she said that. I didn't want to touch her in that moment. I couldn't believe it.

"You're the reason my best friend left me?" I asked quietly.

"Eddie, I was only doing it for us-"

"Get out."

"Eddie"

"I said get out! Get out of my face! Get out of my area! Get out of my life!" I had never been so mad. I knew it was weird that Ems just up and left. But I never imagined it was because of Beck.

She looked at me for a moment, but turned to the door when I didn't answer. "Fine. I'll go stay at the hotel down the road for the night. We can talk about this in the morning." She slammed the door behind her.

There wouldn't be any talking tomorrow. Tomorrow I would pack her stuff. I didn't want anything to do with her. She betrayed my trust. Forever.

-Ems' POV-

I sat down on the bed and he sat next to me. I didn't know what to say.

"Eds, I'm sorry I didn't talk to you about it. I know I should've told you as soon as she said something like that. I just freaked out. I didn't want to lose you, but with you being with her, it felt like I already did" I couldn't look at him as I talked. I felt like I really let him down.

"Ems, I don't blame you, not even a little bit. Please don't think that" Eddie said beside me. I pulled him into a hug at that point. He always knew how to make me feel better. He placed a hand on my cheek. "You didn't take my oceans away, she did. You brought them back to me."

He slowly leaned closer to me and my breath hitched in my throat. I knew what was coming next but I didn't know how to react. Just before his lips could touch mine, a loud knock brought us out of our daze. 

"I'll get it!" I nearly shouted. I quickly stood up and walked out of the room. As I got closer to the front door, another loud knock startled me. "Who the hell could this be?"

I opened the door and was met with a swaying Chris.

"M&M! What are you doing here?!" he yelled as he stumbled inside.

"Corn, this is my place" I said chuckling at him. 

"Oh! I knew that, let's go to your room!"

"Corn, how drunk are you?" I laughed, following him to my bedroom. He threw himself down on the bed. 

"I'm not even a little bit drunk, I don't know what you're talking about. Hey I have an idea, let's lay down together!"

I laid down beside him and he scooted closer to me. We both lay on our backs looking at the ceiling. 

"Man, my eyelids feel heavy" Chris whispered next to me. 

"That means you should go to sleep Chris. You can sleep here tonight, okay? I'll sleep on the couch" I said, turning to get up. Chris grabbed my waist and pulled me closer to him. 

"No no no, you sleep here, lovely lady. I miss sleeping next to you."

I sighed and turned to Chris. "Darling, you have Susan now, remember? I'm going to go sleep on the couch" I said getting up.

"Fine fine, you're right. I need to sleep" Chris said rolling over and pulling the blanket up. "I love you, M&M."

"I love you too, Corn" I said smiling at him. 

"No, Ems, I don't think you get it" he said, still not looking at me. I turned and walked back towards the bed. I sat next to him and stroked his cheek. "Why don't you explain it to me then."

He opened his eyes and met mine. "I mean I really love you. That's why I was trying to distract myself with Susan. I wanted to come home to you every day. I wanted to see you with a big ring on your finger that I would give you. I wanted to fall asleep next to you each and every night. I love you so much."

I looked at Chris with sympathetic eyes. 

"Chris, I love you too. But our time for that has passed. You're my best friend, and nothing will ever change that." I leaned down and kissed his cheek. He seemed content with my answer so I got up to leave.

"It'll always be us in the end, right M&M?" he asked as I walked away. 

"Of course it will be, Corn. We'll die in matching hospital beds in the same room at the same time. Goodnight, Chris" I said before turning off the light and shutting the door. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. "That was harder than expected."

I walked back to Eddie's room to talk to him. 

"Who was that?" Eddie asked when I walked in.

"It was Chris. He's drunk" I said sitting on the bed.

"Oh, shit, I'm sorry, Ems, I totally forgot about Chris. I shouldn't have tried to make a move" he seemed to be anxious. I chuckled slightly and placed my hand on his leg. 

"Eddie, don't be. I think there are some things we need to talk about."