It's You

~Eddie's POV~

I stormed into the kitchen towards the ringing phone. I didn't want to answer it. I just wanted to be alone. But I had a feeling I needed to answer it anyway.

"Hello?" I asked into the phone.

"Ed? Is that you?" someone asked.

"Yeah, who's this" I asked nonchalantly, leaning against the counter.

"It's Stone, I'm coming over. I just wanted to make sure you were home before I did."

The line went dead. I sighed and hung the phone back on the hook. I walked back to the living room and plopped myself down on the couch. I sat and stared at a wall, thinking about Ems.

I thought she wanted me. I mean we both said we love each other, I sang her the oceans song I wrote for her, I thought we were waiting to move on from our past relationships. I didn't think that meant dating other people. I felt my chest tighten. I hate feeling like this.

After a few minutes, the front door swung open. I turned to see a frazzled Stone trying to catch his breath.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked, standing up and walking towards him.

"Yes, I'm fine. You're coming with me" he said while grabbing my arm. I didn't protest, worried about what could get him so worked up. We sat in silence as we drove back to the venue.

"Stone, what's going on?" I asked as we walked towards the back entrance.

"I think Chris is going to explain it better" was all he said before we walked inside. We walked down the hall and found the green room. Stone gently knocked on the door. I heard Chris yell something from inside before the door opened slightly. Chris slipped into the hallway and whispered to Stone.

Stone slipped in the room and closed the door. I looked up at Chris as he placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Okay, Vedder. Why don't you explain your side of the story really quick before I offer my two cents."

I looked at him with a confused expression. "Are you talking about the Ems thing?" I asked. He nodded his head slightly, earning a sigh from me. I looked at the ground for a moment, trying to get my thoughts in order.

"I wrote Black for her. She heard it and left with another guy. I mean it's pretty obvious that she was rejecting me, right? Why else would she leave with another man?" Chris looked me in the eyes the entire time I was talking to him.

"Michael is the one who wants to sign a deal with Bliss."

My heart panged at that. I shook my head and continued my questioning.

"Okay but she still left after hearing my song, why did she leave?"

"Michael wanted to go somewhere quieter to talk it over. He came onto her. She rejected him. Said she was already seeing someone."

I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"She didn't hear the song, Eddie. Michael dragged her away before she could. She came back looking for you."

I looked down at the ground, ashamed at the way I reacted. I should've just talked to her. All of this could've been avoided.

"I know she's your best friend, but I know her well too. Ed, she loves you, but you need to start communicating with her before jumping to conclusions. She's awake now, but you have to be gentle with her." Chris turned to open the door. I stopped him before he could.

"Wait, awake? Did she have an attack because of me?"

Chris chuckled before pushing his hair out of his face.

"She always does, you really affect her. Like I said, she loves you" he said before slowly opening the door. He waved for Stone to come out of the room. We all stood in the hall for a moment.

"She's good, just tired. I gave her some water before she laid back down" Stone said as soon as the door closed. Chris nodded and then turned to me. "Go talk to her" he said before walking down the hall with Stone.

I took a deep breath and opened the door carefully. I saw her laying on the couch, eyes closed, a small smile on her face. I closed the door and she looked up at the sound. She smiled weakly at me.

"Eds" she said quietly. I walked over to her and kneeled beside her. I took her hand in mine and placed my cheek in it.

"Oh, my little ocean. I'm so sorry for jumping to conclusions" I said to her, a tear escaping my eye.

"I don't blame you, lovey. Please don't beat yourself up over it" she said, leaning closer to me. I smiled at her words. "Will you lay with me?" she asked after a moment. I nodded my head. I situated us on the couch so she was laying on top of me, her chest pressed against mine. I held her close as we laid together.

"I thought you hated my song for you" I said, chuckling softly. She sat up and looked in my eyes with a smile.

"Chris told me about that. I'm sorry I didn't get to hear it" she laid her head back down. After a few more moments of silence I heard her small voice. "Will you sing it for me now?"

I smiled and hummed as a response. I began to sing the lyrics to her.

I know some day you'll have a beautiful life

I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky

But why, why, why can't it be

Oh can't it be mine?

"I wrote that when you left. I never thought I would see you again" I said after the song was over. She didn't say anything at first and I began to get nervous. I then heard her sniffle.

She pushed herself up and looked me in the eyes, tears streamed down her cheeks. It made me want to cry too.

"I'm sorry I ever made you feel that way" she whispered. Before I could tell her it's okay, that I forgive her, that I don't blame her, I felt her lips on mine. I placed my hand on the small of her back and the other on her cheek, deepening the kiss for a moment.

"It's you, Eds. It's always you" she said when she pulled away from the kiss. I smiled at her and nodded my head. "It's always you too, Ems" I said, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"What do you say we go home?" I asked after a few moments. She smiled and nodded her head. I helped her get up and out of the room.

We caught a ride from Stone and arrived at our apartment shortly. I helped her inside and waved at Stone as he left. I helped Ems to her room and into a change of clothes. We laid in her bed together, holding each other closely, afraid that if we let go we'll lose each other. After a few moments, I hear her soft snores next to me. I smile at the sound and try to get to sleep myself.

"It's you, Ems. I love you so much."