12

she screamed in pain, but no one was able to hear her.

everything felt as if the world slowed down, when her body smashed the ground. they were monsters who pretended to be angel in disguise.

she screamed once again; this time, a name echoed through.

she wished that all of that was not real, she gathered up her strength to fight for her life as it depended only on her. she wanted to survive.

as her body shivered in fear; she stood up from the ground and started running.

she never looked back.

_

hyunjae holds her hand as they walk out from the police station, holding few important documents with him. he glances at her a few times, noticing the relief on her face; as if all of the burden and guilt has been taken off her ever since she discovered the truth untold about lee mirae.

technically, it's true that she finally feels like she could breathe after the hectic week.

"i am proud of you," he starts, eyes looking around on the road as they are waiting for the traffic lights turns red.

she smiles, a very genuine one curved on her face.

"thank you for trusting me, i don't even know if i can ever do it without you."

"you're a hero today. you saved lee mirae" he huffs out. "im sorry i couldn't save you-" he accidentally blurts out. more than he intended to do so.

" wait im sorry i didn't mean to bring that back.."

sara shakes her head, "it's fine. i already grew out of it plus you weren't even there. even if u did, you're just a kid like me; you can't do anything. life goes on, jae."

he opens the car door for her, making sure the woman enters safely before he walks on to the driver side. starting the engine, he then reverse the car and drives out from the police station.

"you're a strong person, i envy you a lot." hyunjae says, slightly looking at her through the side mirror.

"i just.. don't want any other living kids go through what i've been through," her mind flashes back the nightmare that she wishes she could bury it down seven foot deep.

he turns the signal and went to the right, glancing at the back seat this time. there's mirae, sleeping peacefully with a new plushie sara bought for her.

"let's bring her home."

sara's eyes wonders around the outside world as hyunjae taking a few more turns into a residential area. the car stops right infront of a semi-d house, grey in colour. they both got out the car and sara went straight to the backseat to wake mirae.

" dear, wake up. we are here, your new home baby."

walking out from the car, mirae holds sara's hand firmly. she rubs her eyes slightly using the other hand, confused with what's happening around her.

with sara holding the little girl hand, they walk with hyunjae by mirae's other side. as they're walking to the gate, bunch of kids come to the gate greeting them happily; excitement written all over their faces.

then came a woman in her fifties, unlocking the padlock on the gate, " oh my oh my ! look who's here ?"

" hyunjae hyung, sara noona ! welcome back !! " the kids cheering, welcoming them as the gate opens. mirae blinks confusedly, "doctor chae? who are they ?"

"mirae, say hi to your new friends," hyunjae smiles, now taking turns to hold her hand from sara. he brings him to the kids circle, introducing each of the kids and teens that's surrounding them.

the woman smiles at sara, immediately pulling her in a hug. rush of emotions overwhelms her as the woman embraced her body. the feeling that she can never get tired of; if she can be in her embrace all her life, she'd never break it off.

the feeling of home.

"how are you, sara ? it has been so long since you and hyunjae came by visiting your siblings. i missed you so much already, god.. look how much you've grown ? i can't believe i used to pat you back to sleep whenever you had nightmares once ago.." she blurts out, squishing both of sara's cheeks as she frowns.

"sorry, mom. been quite busy these days, more patients and no off days.." sara pouts, clinging onto the older woman who has smile plastered on her face ever since.

"come on, let's show little mirae her new home."

they hold each other hands, walking into the house as the loud chatters greets. sara looks around excitedly, waving at the crowds. a little pair of hands pulls the corner of her shirt, wanting attention.

"sara noona, let's play with us !" he screams, pointing to the big playroom with a robot in his hand. sara quickly takes his hand, running along to the open playroom while laughing. pushing the door wide open, the boy immediately pushes her back; having the woman confused as he covers her with both of his little arms.

"huarghh, i am going to eat all of you !"

sara tries to get up but then the little boy holds her hand, "noona don't move! i am going to save you from that monster !" he breathes, "hyunjae hyung, take this !!"

before the man can even process what's happening as he's busy holding mirae on his back, chasing the other kids; a big pillow flying straight onto his gorgeous face, making him losing balance as his feet swiftly slides through the tiles.

a loud thud echoes through the whole room. hyunjae holds his foot as it's starting to throb, took him a whole minute for his mind to finally works again.

"OH SHIT MIRAE"

he runs to her, panicking as she starts crying loudly. he picks her up, patting her head slow while apologising repeatedly. "mirae i am so sorry. look baby i am so so sorry where does it hurt ?"

sara on the other hand already rolls off to the other side of the room holding her stomach, laughing her heart out. the little boy beside her laughing along as well, " noona, we did it ! we beat the monster !"

" you naughty little devil kim youngha ! go apologise to your hyunjae hyung," she breathes out, still holding her stomach. youngha ended up rolling to her side as she catches him in her embrace.

on the other side, hyunjae slowly puts mirae on a chair; caressing her hair as she sobs quietly. he then wipes tears staining her face, slightly squishing her cheek.

"mirae can forgives hyunjae oppa right ?"

mirae stopped sobbing eventually after a few minutes with hyunjae staring at her; his doe eyes definitely working on the opposite gender. she looks up to him, opening her arms; asking for a hug.

he looks at her in awe before engulfing mirae with both of his arms, giving the best hug she ever received. he cooed her softly, giving it a few minutes until he hears soft snores beside his ears.

"cute"