22

"and then i resected the tumour while preserving the bladder function! cause you know, don't want anything to go south while rocking the surgery,"

she chuckles, closing the charts on her hand and put it on the table next to her. reality gradually creeps back to her, and she slowly walks towards the bed where her bestfriend is laying.

"you would love to see the surgery, i mean heck you haven't done one like that so far as i remember.."

her hands found his, caressing it softly. as she looks at the unresponsive body infront of her, she starts wondering.

"you know what jae? you can wake up already im tired of babbling alone while you are deep in your sleep." she hisses, gradually playing with his hand.

the sound of the automatic sliding door opens startled sara as she quickly turned. younghoon smiles briefly, walking towards her with a paper clipped on a board in his grip.

"how's hyunjae doing ?" he asks.

"yeah, he's doing great. vitals are stable and he's been breathing really well it's about time we can put him off the ventilator. he's holding on well, just waiting for him come out from his slumber now."

smiles crept up on the chief's face again, "that's good."

"i know right ? he'll get up in no time from now." she says confidently while grinning sheepishly at younghoon. "told you he's a survivor."

he glances at hyunjae for awhile, before his vision comes back to the sight of the woman infront of her. he can see visibly emotions written all over her face. after so long, the face finally offered smiles. unknowingly, he stares at his resident for almost a minute.

"uh, chief? do you want to say anything to me?"

"oh, right. sorry, it's just i've been worried about you since the accident happened. you looked lost, but now sara chae finally back in her game. safe to say i am relieved that she snapped out of it."

sara shifts her focus between the chief and hyunjae, not sure on what to reply to her boss. small thank you was all she said, before smiling awkwardly at the sight of the chief still standing infront of her.

"you really don't want to step out of this room unless doctor lee opens his eyes, aren't you doctor chae ?"

"i mean if i wasn't needed anywhere why wouldn't i not be here ? like what if this jerk wakes up the moment i left this room ? he'll say that i was the worst friend then drags the topic for the rest of his life." she rolls her eyes.

"well hate to break it to you, we need extra hands for the bowel reconstruction at 3pm. scrub in, let the man wakes up in peace." younghoon replies, again with the worst humour ever.

sara laughs it off anyway, because it does somehow came out funny to her.

"alright i'll be there." she lets out, and sighs.

"don't worry doctor chae, we'll have everyone here to page you if the man wakes up."

sara nods slowly as she watches the chief leaves the room, waving the board in his hand. after a quick check up on hyunjae, she finally steps out from the room. checking her watch as she walks, she realises that there's still lots of time before the next surgery.

eventually, she brings herself to the cafeteria. as she was about to order her regular caffeine a shout startles her heart, greeting a sight of a man tripped clumsily infront of her.

"doctor.. chae.."

"what is it sunwoo ?" she glares at the latter, holding the boy steadily before his face gets to kiss the slippery floor.

"there's a bus crash. 20 students were injured badly and.. and 2 of them had already died on the way.. doctor sohn is looking for all possible hands on the case so i think you look quite free.." he huffs, trying to gasp on air.

"alright, let's go."

both of the doctors run to the emergency department, preparing themselves to join the chaos happening there. there were blood everywhere, crying children, don't forget the screaming parents everywhere.

sara ran to the person who tries to calm the situation down by yelling for the adults to be patient as more ambulance came in bringing different types of injuries.

"alright, i need everyone to calm down so that i can update on whatever thing that i have here regarding your kids !"

the crowds slow down a little, just enough for eric's voice to be heard. he sighs, "thank you. for now, please remain calm and do not panic yourself. we ensure you that everything will be taken care of so stop worrying and just pray that everyone is safe."

he turns to sara, handing her a chart.

"doctor chae, trauma one. doctor kim, you're working with doctor chae !" he says hurriedly, before focusing on other doctors, yelling their names.

sara and sunwoo then enters the room with patients of trauma one, hearing absolute chaos going on inside.

"you'll need to crack her chest now or she'll not be able to breathe due to fluids surrounding her heart !"

"i told you we need to focus on her leg first or if you want this girl to live her whole life with no leg then go on !"

"there's no point on fixing her leg if she's not going to have her heart beating and die !"

"everyone stop it !" sara shouts as she gowns herself. "this isn't the time to fight when the patient is literally dying. decide who go first and move quickly please."

she walks quickly to the patient side as the other doctors make ways with sunwoo by her side. one look at the patient, her heart drops.

"this is going to be a tough surgery, i need cardio to keep her heart stable first before we move on to other parts or she'll not be able to go through any of it at all."