23

"oh my, i feel like my back is going to break.."

sara shots her head up, glaring at sunwoo through her mask as she's trying to figure out options for a person laying down unconscious on her table. she could do anything, but with that being said she still had to choose on what she has to do.

what's next ? then what happens after next ?

options. decisions. surgeons are always stuck between options that they should be able to make quick decisions on. you blew up an option, your patient might ended up being paralysed their whole life, or maybe they could go home with no legs and even worst case scenario? they would ended up not even leaving the hospital at all because they're dead.

she sighs, scolding the inner her for losing herself in thoughts in the middle of surgery. she looks up at the patient infront of her again as her hands were doing it's job.

"poor girl. she just wanted to go on school trips but ended up.. like this,"

sunwoo hums in agreement, taking a peek at the girl's face.

"i have a little sister," he says, looking at sara.

"well, i had a little sister."

sara turns to him, "i'm sorry—"

"no,no,no.. it's fine. i lost my girl when i was just starting med school. funny how now i'm already at my fifth year residency," he replies.

"i'm sure she was very cute considering how you look."

"are you saying that i'm hot ?"

"now you want to make me puke," she frowns, shifting back her focus onto the patient.

"yeah i forgot the only person you think hot was that patient in room 1501 isn't it ? what was his name again ? lee juyeon or something.."

her face changes quickly into a confused one, " what did you say ?"

"oh come on i know you're into the guy. i saw the look on your face" sunwoo teases.

"hell no, doctor kim sunwoo he is my patient. plus are you dumb or something why would i be into someone i just met ? you don't get to talk to me about love or some stupid stuff like this, okay?"

"man what do you even know about love, sara ?"

"not much but better than you,"

he laughs, enjoying the sight of a flustered woman infront of him. "okay okay, chill im just joking about the juyeon guy. tell me about it, about how you knew so much about love.. quite bored right now this surgery is gonna be a long one so i need gossips."

"well.. for me, love isn't something that's only about the rainbows and glitters. it isn't just about the good parts, i mean sure yeah, to be able to love someone and go on dates with them, catching favourite movies together, dancing throughout the night with the love of your life were all great; but i do think that the horrendous parts of relationships are what makes it a true love. it means like, they were always there for each other, no matter how hard the hardships they had to went through. without fights, how are they going to learn more about each of themselves?those bad things can show who they really are for one another. it can just show how two people were really meant for each other."

"most importantly, the key to love for me is trust. to be able to trust someone other than yourself was hard, but it may be signs if you find the right person to fall in love with."

she smiles at the thought of a person that comes across her mind the moment sunwoo talks about love.

"wow, look at you talking like a 70 years old lady whom her lover died 12 years ago."

sara glares at him sharply, "shut your ass."

as sunwoo about to roasts her back, the sliding door to the operating room slides open, revealing a panting pink scrub nurse trying to gasp for air. she takes in some air, before looking back straight at sara.

"rania? why are you running—"

"it's hyunjae.. you need to come fast," she panted, still gasping for air.

her heart felt like it just dropped to the center of the earth when the name rings in her ears. seeing how rania came in, instant fears crept up her heart.

"i'm coming. doctor kim, you just need to continue what i did here and close the patient as soon as you're done with the procedure."

the latter nods hurriedly, replacing her as she speeds off to the door. she tears the surgery gown down and throws it to the dustbin before starting to run like her whole world depends on it. as she passes countless doors to both her left and right, her mind only thinks of one thing.

hyunjae

a single tear escaped her eyelids as she tries to speeds off even more.

please survive.