16

"the fever managed to catch you this time"

juyeon's soft laugh rings through her ears. she smiles at him, hands moving gently; wiping the wet towels on his forehead. his eyes trails all over her, from her moving hands to the face that is currently grinning at him.

"sara," he exhales. "why do you choose this path ? what made you want to be surgeon ?"

her head shots up, glancing at him for a good few seconds before shifting on her seat to sit comfortably. "okay since we're friends now.." she put up both of her legs, sitting crossed legs on the chair, "i guess i just have this one desire to hold a living human heart"

juyeon immediately stopped on what he was doing, shooting her with the 'what the hell' look written on his face. sara laughs loudly, holding onto her stomach as she smacked his arm unknowingly. he can't help but smile, but turns into a frown after a good minute that his arm starts to hurt as she kept on hitting it.

"ouch man," he catches her wrists, "that hurts"

sara quickly snatches her hand away, still laughing to herself. when she finally finished laughing, he put up a finger infront of her face, "are you done laughing ?"

"yeah," she breathes, "now that was a good laugh. thank you though, i needed that"

he furrows his eyebrows, " what's so funny about wanting to hold a human heart ? i think it's cool"

her laughs instantly died hearing what came out from his mouth. sara turns to face him, a confusion blew her mind. " you think it's cool ?" juyeon nods as she shakes her head, "no but do you really think it's cool like i did ?"

"ofcourse ! imagine getting to hold a beating heart with your hands, woah i'd be amazed if i can do that.. even better if i can fix my own heart, if i died then no one will have to take the blame"

sara frowns, " juyeon please what did i say about death jokes.." his eyes lighten up as he heard what she said, "woah you finally called me by my name"

rolling her eyes as her hands grabbing the iced tea cup to munch on the ice, " technically mr lee is your name too"

"yeah but it doesn't sound friendly, you sounded like a grumpy doctor" he pouts.

"so what do i sound like now ?"

he smiles again. "my doctor"

sara pushes him back to his laying position on the bed while scoffing, "not very smooth one juyeon but well played." she rolls her eyes, "do better next time"

as they both laughed, the door shoots open; revealing a male surgeon with light blue scrubs similar to sara's. she stood up instantly, almost tripping herself down the chair.

her eyes falls to the person standing at the door, simultaneously slumping her heart down too. she breathes in carefully as she straighten her clothes, looking straight at him.

"may i help you doctor ?" she lets out.

hyunjae scrunches his eyebrows; she tries to keep on a serious face, but eventually finding herself smiling at this clumsy side of him. she quickly snaps back, pulling a serious face card.

'not today,sara'

definitely not today, especially after what happened between them. and juyeon.

the urge to smack his arms and ask if he's okay, running fingers through his hair before pulling it hard, then tell how much she missed him.

but she didn't. she refused to apologise on something that was never once was her fault. it was never her fault that he was destined to go through such trauma, isn't it?

it's his fault for lashing it all out on her, and she will stood up for herself.

he needs to learn on how to let lee hyera go peacefully.

guilt was clearly shown all over his face no matter how hard he tried to hide them. she studies his face until his sight falls onto the patient beside her.

hatred. no matter how many times she tries to interpret whatever it is that hyunjae has onto juyeon, she'll never be able to figure this one out. what's even funnier was, he is really the type of an easy read. it's obvious when he feels something; like when he's mad or even sad, sara would've known there's something wrong the moment she looked into his eyes.

but this, she couldn't figure anything except hatred. and she refused to believe it until yesterday happened; though lee juyeon might be just her wild guess on what has been triggering his past.

maybe it's just the illness that lee juyeon suffers ?

she tried staying away from these kinds of problems but the thoughts of her bestfriend having some kind of beef with a patient under her care was just not it. it's her patient, and she has every rights to defend lee juyeon even if it means that she has to blew hyunjae off.

"chief kim wants you in his operating room today, sunwoo will cover up for you in here." he finally spoke, she could feel it that he's hesitant.

replying with a hum, sara walked out from the room; wanting to get out from the awkward situation as fast as she could and the moment she reached younghoon's operating room, she already predicted that he was not calling her to assist on a surgery.

"is this about the heart you're about to put in my patient?"

and ofcourse, she's right.