7. Pool fun

REGINA POV:

It's a very hot day and we're all out by the pool, Candice and Nian have an idea, so they head out, while the rest of us just relax, some music playing and cold drinks. Of course, we're being careful with the kids, our pool is sheltered, but we've put suncream on them anyway and we're making sure they drink lots. I'm recording us having some fun, when the pair get back, carrying some huge inflatables along with them, Candice saying "I thought we could play a water game. Last to stay on the floaty wins." Everyone readily agrees with the game and Nian adds "We've got 7 floaties, so 7 teams of 2, we thought it would be best not to include Joe and the babies, so…" He counts how many of us are around the pool, we have Peter with us "We're gonna need a ref." I immediately raise my hand "I'll do it." Ash smiles "That was easy. Okay, I'll go write everyone's names down so we can fairly pick teams." 

I'm so glad to be ref and not a competitor.

Once Ashley comes back with half the group's names in a hat, she holds it out in front of her "Braden, you get to pick first." Braden pulls Stacey out and he gets to choose a floaty, he goes for a giant unicorn with a surface to sit on. Next to choose is Maria, who pulls Anna, Maria then picks a flamingo ring. The last of the kids, Lucy, is up, she pulls Warren and picks a parrot ring. Next Prisha chooses Nian and the second giant unicorn. Then we have Vina, who pulls Candice and picks a giant peacock that has a huge surface space. Then it's Peter, who gets Ash and grass the dragon ring. And lastly is Tasia, who gets Suzie And The leftover inflatable, which is a long whale which they'll have to ride instead of just sit on, making it more difficult to stay on. Once that's decided, I come up with the rules "Rule 1, only hands and feet can get wet. Rule 2, no pushing other teams." I hear someone go "Oh…" "Rule 3, if one person gets out, both lose. Task one is going to be to get onto your floaty and onto the water, without falling in. Team 1, you're up." 

Stacey places the unicorn on the water and picks Braden up she carefully places him at the front, then drops on behind him.

Next, Anna sits on the flamingo at the edge of the pool and holds out her arms for Maria "You need to sit here and hold onto the neck, okay?" She pulls Maria on and holds her with one arm, while she pushes them into the pool with the other, tipping dangerously for a moment, causing people to go "Ohhh…" But she gains balance and they're fine.

Warren places the parrot on the edge and sits towards the back, he then positions Lucy on his lap and tries to rock forward, but everyone laughs as it doesn't work "Lean forward, hug the neck." Lucy does as asked and Warren leans forward as he rocks a bit more and they slip onto the water, safely.

Nian puts the unicorn onto the water and jumps onto it, the unicorn moves several feet away, leaving his teammate behind, which several people point out, but he did it in a corner of the pool, and so Prisha can still reach, she launches herself on, landing behind Nian.

Vina holds the peacock still so Candice can get on first, then she gracefully slips on.

Peter holds the dragon still and Ash pretty much drops down onto it, causing a splash, but landing on the floaty, then Peter jumps onto her lap.

Tasia holds the whale so Suzie can shimmy on first, behind the side fins, and then she carefully gets on in front. 

I call out "You've all completed task 1." Everyone just chills for a bit, then a bee starts flying around and everyone starts panicking. The bee decides it likes Warren and Lucy, and Lucy starts screaming. I hurry round the pool to where the pair are by an edge and Lucy holds her arms out at me "Out! Out! Out!" And starts screaming some more, so I follow her request and hold my arms out to her, the others try to get the bee away from the pair, so Warren can try not panic as much and pass Lucy to me. We eventually manage the pass off and Warren drops through the ring into the water, then frantically swims to the edge and pulls himself out of the pool so fast. I bounce Lucy a bit to try and calm her as I say "Sorry, but you guys are out." Warren doesn't hear me as he runs to the other end of the pool and hides by the deckchairs. I take Lucy over there too, then remove their floaty from the pool so there's more room.